Duty Idiot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
So remember when Uncle Ray told us how dangerous axes are..... My ring finger is now evidence of that. I recently purchased a GB SFA and after reading watching and thinking about it I went out to try a spoon. As I tried to do the first split to get a form to work on the axe slipped out and nicked my finger. It was pretty deep no sign of bone and initially painless. Actions on were kitchen roll wad on and direct pressure followed by elevation. Didn't bleed until the nurse gave it a poke and before the stitches went in.
Good job done by the NHS at PRI thank you. Lessons learnt; direct pressure and elevating wound helped a lot, the doc improvised a little tourniquet for my finger which was cool and instead of going out and buying kit learn how to use them first.

An embarrassed Scoman sat on the couch considering a bushcraft course near to home!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
you can't lern without mistakes and with sharps they hurt! i have sliced myself with many knives and saws and still do occasionly lol!
never had a propper cut with an axe luckily though:)

just make sure you take some first aid bits with you into the woods otherwhise you have to sacrifice a t shirt for a bandage as me and my mate found out a few weeks back!

pete

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yep done the same thing just splitting wood memo to self use piece of wood to balance stick not index finger lesson learnt regards dave

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Don't you hate it when an obvious sensible trick is pointed out. Nice one Dave will use that in future,now I'm really calling myself an idiot and John too true hard learnt lessons forever remembered.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cutting yourself with stuff is inevitable however careful you are. But what John says is true and it will help minimise any further mishaps.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I have seen some serious injuries from proper sharp tools. It always makes me smile when people repeat the phrase 'a blunt knife is more dangerous than a sharp one', I understand the theory that you will have to apply more pressure etc with a blunt tool but when a knife/axe/chisel etc is seriously sharp a cut will be deep before you even realise it. Glyn.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yes I think we have all been there, recently got my self some really good wet stones to sharpen already sharp blades(like you do) and when testing if they were sharp OUCH!
cut finger and again when blade slipped from stone.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the sharp is better than blunt thing is only really right with smallish wounds, i would rather a rough torn up wound and a broken arm by a blunt axe than lose the arm cleanly!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE