Dutchie thinking about going. Trying to convince my mother.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'd love to go to the moot too. I've been saving up so I know I can afford it, I have the kit neccesary and I've camped for longer periods than the duration of the moot. Also I've travelled by airplane before.

The thing this I'm 16 an my mother worries a lot about me. To the best of my knowledge she thinks I will surely end up dead or worse if she lets me get on that plane. :( She doesn't do camping, btw) I have a brother who's 18. He's not much of a bushcrafter and I can hardly get him to leave his laptop, but surprisingly he has told me that he would consider doing this with me. I have other older friends also, who are also currently being interrogated by e mail about what they're planning to do this summer. :)

Even if I could find anyone willing to go, I'm not sure my mother would let me. So what can I say to her to convince her to let me go?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm sixteen and live under her roof so she can technically still tell me what to do. I think.

Correction... she's your mother, she can tell you what to do even when your 61. It's one of those things that never change :rolleyes::lmao:

You could always tell her the guys in the Naughty Corner will take good care of you ;)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
tell your mother you will be in the safest place you can be for those to weeks show her the forum let her talk to us she will be more confident with you then regards dave

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
To be completely fair:

- Your mother is completely right in worrying you going abroad seeing strange people in woods you met on the internet.
- You're a minor, and as you say you live under her roof. She's fully entitled to tell you what to do (or not) until you're 18*.
- You're more than welcome at the Moot, and I'm sure you'll love it. But being a minor you do need supervision, either by a parent or your brother or someone with parental consent. It's not to be a pain in the behind for you, but has all to do with insurance.

*) Even if you're older (say 33 ... ) and tell her "I'm planning on a trip to Borneo this autumn", she'll reply: "No you're not".

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Johan has it right.

At the moot you would need someone responsible for you that's over 18, you would need your Mothers permission to be there and to be honest you've just got to tell her about it and let her decide if you can come or not, she is more than welcome as well, there's loads to see, walks, places to visit etc in the local area. If you come it needs to be done right, with everyone happy.

You're more than welcome so don't read this as me saying no but the conditions need to be right.

Hope that helps

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
From what you have posted in various threads you seem to be a very capable, sensible and confident person; when I was 16 I was none of those things.

There are two different issues here; the fact that you are 16, and trying to get the permission/trust of your mother. The first one can be overcome as Tony and Johan have described; the second one is down to reassuring her that you will be amongst good decent people.

I won't be there but I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for all the advice. I think you are very right in all that you say Johan. Well maybe except the thing when I'm 33. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it after all as another (Netherlands based) bushcraft event that I already signed up for put it's final dates at 6th-9th of august.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will remember it for next year and then I'll try even harder to go.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Listen to your mom, you are still young and you have all the time in the world to attend camps in the UK. I'm confident there will be 'moots' when your eighteen or nineteen which is not a long way off for you.

You must not even consider the 'just do it' option, that path would lead to worry, concern and problems.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Listen to your mom, you are still young and you have all the time in the world to attend camps in the UK. I'm confident there will be 'moots' when your eighteen or nineteen which is not a long way off for you.

You must not even consider the 'just do it' option, that path would lead to worry, concern and problems.

I didn't consider it. I do love my mum just for the record I wouldn't do that to her. Besides, the bushcraft camp here is being arranged by a good friend of mine, and I've been there 2 times already. It's always great fun and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll post an extensive trip report too, when that time comes.

Last edited:

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
I would kill you if you just "did it". I hope you enjoy the Moot you are going to and we will all look forward to reading your posts, better still why dont you start a blog then you will also have a lasting diary and your mum can see how responsible and seriously you take it. Good Luck.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, that's a shame, I could have picked you up from Bristol airport as I did with Ruud last year (I think hes doing something different this year)

Im also old enough to be your mum.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The kindness of you all is touching. I'll keep the moot in mind for next year, as it absolutely seems like a great adventure to be a part of.

The thing I'm going to now is a lot of fun too. There's 3 core days but the guy organizing the camp has his teepee there and it will be up for 2 weeks. And I usually get to go for like a week or more because the man organizing it is a very good friend of mine. There will definately be pictures of whatever I do there.

Thanks all for thinking along with me.:)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Neils, I know your not comming this year but from what I know of you I would proudly be considered your responsible adult next year if needed, I head your way a few times a year for various technical meetings / conferences if your mum or dad wan't to meet me beforehand.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Neils, I know your not comming this year but from what I know of you I would proudly be considered your responsible adult next year if needed, I head your way a few times a year for various technical meetings / conferences if your mum or dad wan't to meet me beforehand.

Thanks man. That really means a lot to me. The 2014 moot won't be here for a long while yet, and there's not so much use planning that far ahead. If you're ever nearby though, just send me a PM if you get a chance .:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE