dutch oven tripod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
i have just aquired a large dutch oven and want to make a tripod for hanging , my plan is making it so i can hold a fire tray for cooking above ground as well as using it in the conventional way , now to my question what height is the best for the tripod as i can make it any height but not sure if the cheap ones on fleabay are any good to obtain the sizes or wheather they are rubbish,all help greatly needed . atb wayne

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd go for a basic tripod with a chain and hook attached for dutchie/pot height adjustment, then use a separate fire box on legs.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats what I do - works a treat

Tripod 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Mine has 5 foot legs - sounds a lot but don't foget you splay the legs - and you want your hands at the top out of the heat

Mine came from Launditch1 and is superb

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ok guys thats great thanks for the advice going to start tommorrow, atb wayne
ps i have a firebox for my griddle , i was thinking on the lines of bars that hooked into the legs quite low down and then a tray but can stick with a box might do a bigger box and lower legs heres a pic of my box
stalking.jpg

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
thanks rich it only took ten minutes as i was off to the lakes so i knocked it up.
i am doing away with the bolts and putting it on pins for ease of use will do a slightly bigger one for my oven.
i have made a few hog roasters and i did a scaled down version that did two chickens at once for camping but cant find the pics and i gave it away to a lad at work, atb wayne

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ok guys thats great thanks for the advice going to start tommorrow, atb wayne
ps i have a firebox for my griddle , i was thinking on the lines of bars that hooked into the legs quite low down and then a tray but can stick with a box might do a bigger box and lower legs heres a pic of my box
stalking.jpg

Great work there! have to ask though, don't those cross bars interfere with putting the oven down onto the coals properly?

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
santaman that box was just for my griddle /skillet i will make another box thats not as deep for my oven without bars, thats why i was thinking of suspending a round firebox above the ground off the legs of the tripod ,going to have a think as i want to get it right first time really as i will be using it alot and my reasoning ids im not allowed a fire on the floor on my hunting/camping ground but contained is fine,atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
thanks richard i made my tripod today at tea break , i will post pictures tonight and then post the fire bin when thats done atb wayne.
ps the tripods done from 16mm round bar

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
heres the pics i have decided to use three legnths of chain attached to a disc in the middle to suspend my fire pit so more pics to follow ,atb wayne
stalking036.jpg

stalking035.jpg

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
thanks for that , going to get it in use one night this week when the wifes off work so can try it out i will get some venison steaks on the go with the griddle pan , need to make some hangers for it tommorrow, atb wayne

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
:D no worries im glad you like it , i am not allowed a ground fire at my spot so thaught of that ,the reasoning was that if its uneven ground i can true up the fire off the chain so will give it a whirl and see if it works out , i cant see why not if the wife sorts out my plan today it will be making its debut on thursday with a surf and turf ,lobster and venison steaks i have a fisherman friend so shes trying to get something sorted for thursday so more pics to follow, atb wayne

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE