Dutch Oven pot roast pheasant.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
This is a bastardised version of a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recipe for pot roast pheasant which I tried out at the Northern Scotland Glen Tanar meet this weekend. It was a resounding success, so I'm sharing it here.

We adapted the recipe in order to take into account of what we had, and what we could easily (cheaply) obtain. The original recipe is here:-http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jan/26/foodanddrink.recipes

Our recipe

Ingredients
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 pheasants (Or 4 quail, 1 chicken, ½ of a turkey etc, etc, you get the picture)
150g chorizo
4 cloves garlic (More if there have been confirmed vampire sightings. Probably an idea to whittle a stake just in case while the meal is cooking)
2 onions
Salt (Although it is bad for you. But you need some in order to keep your body working properly, your call basically)
Pepper
4 Chicken stock cubes (Unless you know where to get Pheasant stock cubes, I’ll bow to your greater knowledge)
1 bottle White wine (Buy the cheapest you can, so you wont be tempted to guzzle it before you’ve made the meal. Ours was £2.40 from LIDL, A decidedly appalling English vintage known as copper beech. Buy it now before the Governments minimum price for alcohol makes it even poorer value for money.)
1 or 2 tins Butter Beans
Dried Parsley. (Lots if you like parsley, none if you don’t. I don’t mind. It’s your dinner. Just don’t come crying to me…)

Stoke the fire up, using the accredited ‘Livingstone’ method of chucking half of the remaining woodpile on it and coughing violently until it really kicks off. Get the Dutch oven nice and warm. You could keep it in your sleeping bag if you like, this won’t work. We put ours on the fire.

Sling the cooking oil into it.

Chop the onions and garlic and bung them in before the oil catches fire. Let them sweat down / burn to a crisp depending on the heat of the fire.

Check the interior of the pheasants for plastic bags of innards, childrens toys etc and drop them into the pot. Turn them every 5 mins or so to brown the outside, on account of how this is what proper chefs on the telly do. You can swear violently while you’re doing it if that makes it feel more authentic. Or if you’re using your fingers because you forgot the tongs. When you do your last turn, throw the chorizo in. Cook for 5 mins, then add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook in a nice pile of embers with some in the lid, it will boil like mad, so keep an eye on the level of the liquid, and add water if it’s looking a bit low. Keep them in the fire for an hour and a half to 2 hours. Or until the pheasants disintegrate to such an extent that you can’t believe that there is a single piece of them which could be described as dangerously undercooked. Don’t forget to whittle your vampire killing stick.

There was enough here to feed 4 gluttons, or 10+ bushcrafters who’d already eaten a huge pot of waggoners stew.

I didn’t lose a single pound in weight over the weekend. Not one. I can’t imagine why.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ill have a look through the photos,

This was fantastic and it was cooked to perfection.

Thanks for putting it up mate, I think everybody was after the recipe after they tried it.

atb

Craig

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well what a coincidence ! we did exactly the same dish , this weekend just gone , only chopped bacon and a pack of minced beef , instead of the chorizo , and a resounding success . It was delicious and it was all lovingly prepared and cooked by a scottish tramp , well done Steve by the way .

Top write up .

Ivan...

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Aye, if I'd been served that in a restaurant I'd been a happy man. It was absolutely amazing. Love the write-up Nick!

Copy. I can attest to having had no difficulty at all in supressing my gagging reflex.

Appropriate to the quality, and in a possible nod to the piping in of a Burns haggis, its arrival was heralded by ceremonial bugling.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
i do a similar recipe using pork and the other white beans, usually a blend of chickpeas and navy beans.

also try a chunk of chuck or round beef. sub red wine and beef stock. use black beans and whatever red beans you like, pinto, kidney or red.

when you use sausage as your primary spice you can make some otherwise bland dinners quite interesting.

by the way i haven't lost a single pound in thirty years of cooking and eating so one weekend isn't too bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE