"Duncan Dares" Survival Video..... Enjoy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Not sure what he's up to now, but I met Lofty about 7 yrs ago on a company team building weekend - one of those multi-activity adventure day things - actually a very good day!

Had a bit of a chat with him - was a very nice chap.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I have heard from a reliable source that My wiseman is still teaching, aparently the woods he teaches in are just off a mian road and his house is next door! :)

I still have a "Lofty wiseman survival tin" only about 1 square inch of the origional sticky label but i've had it (and not really used it for 20 years!).
The SAS handbook is normally 1st or 2nd choice when i need info for survival referances(i have 40 books! :Wow: ).

i have the 1986 version(paper back) which had a huge section on Nuclear survival which since the cold war finished has not been printed.

i remember taking the book (all 10" x 10" x 1 " of it) on a hikes with me!
boy is it heavy! :lmao:
thank goodness they bought out the Collins Gem version! :D

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
I have heard from a reliable source that My wiseman is still teaching, aparently the woods he teaches in are just off a mian road and his house is next door! :)

Hi Rap,

I hope not! I have been to both of Loftys' houses and, well they are both "in town" One was a 1960's Semi and his present one is a 1990's house in a Cul-de-Sac.

LS

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
kb31 said:
It's in his first book- survival handbook by raymord mears hard to get now but it's a good read

You mean this one?
0312093594.jpg

I havn't got it but I assumed it was the same as this
Outdoor%5Fhandbook%2Ejpg

are they differrent ? :confused: If they are the same then they have just been reprinted and you can get a signed copy from www.raymears.com for £12.99 + P&P...

Hang on that makes my signed copy from many years ago worth a lot less then :cussing:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Just reminded me of that 'survivor' show on discovery civilisation I think. Another newer show about extreme survival. Its a bit of an insult to both survival and bushcraft. Its presented usually by a bloke called 'Bear Gryls' dunno if thats his real name or not, prob just did it for the show. Its a bit staged and sometimes he stoops really low - like eating a raw fish, without even preparing it. Its just stupidity really - theres no craft in it, just blunt stupidity.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
sharp88 said:
Just reminded me of that 'survivor' show on discovery civilisation I think. Another newer show about extreme survival. Its a bit of an insult to both survival and bushcraft. Its presented usually by a bloke called 'Bear Gryls' dunno if thats his real name or not, prob just did it for the show. Its a bit staged and sometimes he stoops really low - like eating a raw fish, without even preparing it. Its just stupidity really - theres no craft in it, just blunt stupidity.
Bear Grylls is his real name, ex squaddie, youngest person to summit Everest a few years ago, not seen the show you are talking about but I did see him in a show "joining" the foreign legion a couple of years ago.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
ludlowsurvivors said:
Hi Rap,

I hope not! I have been to both of Loftys' houses and, well they are both "in town" One was a 1960's Semi and his present one is a 1990's house in a Cul-de-Sac.

LS
Have you spoke to him about that video yet LS matey???

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah got both of those ray mears books (a friend bought me the new edition) both exactly the same. Great book done by season, its what got my into the whole craft. Ps love the vid, lofty seems to explain himself better in the flesh than in his books!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I think Bear Gryls also circumnavigated The Arctic or Antarctic in a RIB a couple of years ago. Sorry to be so vague but the name rings a bell for both the Everest and the RIB expeditions....

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
swyn said:
I think Bear Gryls also circumnavigated The Arctic or Antarctic in a RIB a couple of years ago. Sorry to be so vague but the name rings a bell for both the Everest and the RIB expeditions....

Bear Grylls, his real name is edward. Broke his back in 3 places in a free fall accident with the SAS in africa. He was told that he wouldnt walk again. In 1998 he became the youngest Briton (23) to climb everest and return. He crossed the North atlantic/ Artic sea in an open inflatable (well semi rigid) boat through some horrendous weather. I think he is the real deal underneath. He doesnt make too mutch pretence of being "alone in the wilderness" but he does eat the worms and millipede raw (even RM hasnt done that on film) and I give him credit for not trying to make too much of the "life threatening" senarios. He did kill a live rattler with a rock, and then confess that he really doesnt like snakes too much. And was genuinely windy when a grizzly was poking around his camp at night. Some TV "survivalists" would have made a real meal out of those two events.

He has a series of 12 programmes coming out for Discovery and extreme survival was the pilot. Im looking forward to seeing them. I like the bloke personally.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
nickg said:
I think he is the real deal underneath. He doesnt make too mutch pretence of being "alone in the wilderness" but he does eat the worms and millipede raw (even RM hasnt done that on film)

I’m sorry I have to ask, why would you want to? If you can make a fire and a pot to boil some water in, even if it’s just a hollow in a rock or tree, anything that you can drop a fire heated stone into. Why does eating bugs raw make him superior to anyone else?

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Tadpole said:
I’m sorry I have to ask, why would you want to? If you can make a fire and a pot to boil some water in, even if it’s just a hollow in a rock or tree, anything that you can drop a fire heated stone into. Why does eating bugs raw make him superior to anyone else?

If you are hungry why bother cooking all the goodness out of food, you just eat it and waste nothing.
They taste better raw anyway. :lmao:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
nickg said:
Bear Grylls, his real name is edward. Broke his back in 3 places in a free fall accident with the SAS in africa. He was told that he wouldnt walk again. In 1998 he became the youngest Briton (23) to climb everest and return. He crossed the North atlantic/ Artic sea in an open inflatable (well semi rigid) boat through some horrendous weather. I think he is the real deal underneath. He doesnt make too mutch pretence of being "alone in the wilderness" but he does eat the worms and millipede raw (even RM hasnt done that on film) and I give him credit for not trying to make too much of the "life threatening" senarios. He did kill a live rattler with a rock, and then confess that he really doesnt like snakes too much. And was genuinely windy when a grizzly was poking around his camp at night. Some TV "survivalists" would have made a real meal out of those two events.

He has a series of 12 programmes coming out for Discovery and extreme survival was the pilot. Im looking forward to seeing them. I like the bloke personally.
Ahhhh, Edward= Teddy= Bear!!!!!! :beerchug:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i think it was probably just a demonstration that you "can" eat bug raw if you want to, otherwise many people woulden't dare to try it.

isn't it funny how the thread changes always back to ray? :rolleyes:

i have to say i knew about Lofty wiseman long, long, before i'd heard of Ray mears, and Lofty is far more down to earth, none of the gucci gear no £150 jackets or bags just simple basic survival.......and that's what you have to remember when comparing Ray and Lofty, they come from a different era and ethos.

Lofty just get's on with it, it's the army way of life, KISS (keep It Simple Stipid) to stay alive, don't faff with engraving stuff if it works use it!

Ray tells you the history and meets the people as well as small works of carving art!.

Both instructors in my mind are top of the pile, and hopefuly will be for some time.

as for the house question, it's what i was told, prehaps he was renting or staying with friends?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
CLEM said:
Have you spoke to him about that video yet LS matey???

Hi Clem,

I did go around to see Lofty and he was going to find me a copy, haven't heard from him yet, might pop round and see if he found it yet.

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE