Domesticating the wild garlic.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Finely chopped bulbs and plain yoghurt makes a great dip or dressing for kebabs and the like.

My mum and auntie have grown it year round in the same pot harvest from my local woods. My mum makes a great pesto which she freezes all year for easy use.

Reactions: Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I also do a job lot of pesto for the freezer each year, it's great stuff and because the flavour is so much fuller than the likes of
basil I find it perfectly acceptable to use much cheaper broken cashews and walnuts rather than the expensive pine nuts. It's one of the delights of a winter's evening to have a starter of pasta with this pesto, a real taste of spring on the cold short days.

I'll dig out and post my recipe when I've got a minute and post it here in case anybody would care to try it....:)

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I must take some pics of my patches, they're a couple of years old.

RE the ericaceous compost, I've seen large vistas of it growing on dry chalky woodland floors so I don't think it would be necessary.

My main problem at the moment is the young seedlings being overwhelmed by things like buttercup but I try and remember many people view it as a very invasive weed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
RAMSOME PESTO

100g leaves chopped

50g shallots chopped

75 g walnuts chopped

200ml olive oil

50 - 60g hard cheese of your choice (Parmesan etc.) grated

1/2 to 1 tbs. salt

Good dollop of honey!

All except salt, honey and 50ml. of the olive oil blitzed for about 1 minute, then fold in cheese, salt and honey.

Place in sterilised jars and top with oil.

Good for up to three weeks in the fridge, and I regularly eat it from the freezer at 7 or 8 months old.

As with all the food I make, this is never the same twice; we have problem years here more and more often with walnuts,
people don't seem to look after or value the old established trees any more and when the crop fails I've used hazlenuts or even broken cashews from the health food shop. I also play around a bit with whatever cheese I find that's interesting, and because of the robustness of the flavour of the ramsomes most things seem to work well.

Enjoy!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Should imagine its not too different from above but will call her this eve and ask.
Nawt better that fresh tag pasta and pesto.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE