Domesticating the wild garlic.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't think so....these are broad leafed like the ransoms but they have little aerial bulbils....and the googling I did last night more or less said that ransoms don't do this :confused:

Are Welsh onions not the ones with papery cases with little onionette things ? sprouting leaves before they drop from the mother plant ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
British Red; please watch those three corner leeks I sent ? I have been reading and I have a horrible feeling that they might be mixed with the invasive allium paradoxum :sigh:
It's the only one I can find on line that's showing those little bulbils. Mine came from the burnside and they're common up through the castle policies which is ancient woodland. Thing is though, the policies were actively gardened for a couple of hundred years, so there are some odd things pop up.

If it is the paradoxum, then it's schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act :(

I'll find you some good clearly taken 3 corner leeks if I have gotten them muddled.

Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been out to the garden and found the biggest one that I can find; it was growing smothered by the blackcurrant bush so it's stretched tall and the details are clear. I've dug up the whole plant, wrapped it in damp paper and polybagged it, and it'll come down to you in the post asap. I'm headed to the post office later on today so it'll go then.

Have a look please ? It doesn't seem to smother the wild garlic, but just grows along side it, and it's usually only about a foot high.

atb,
Mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries mate - I'll take a shufti - I'm no expert, but I'll do what I can.

Just caught 20,000 runaways so busy right now :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Interesting... the farmer that owns the wood that we now meet in, is interested in us introducing some plants/fungi for foraging, one of the Plants he wants to introduce is wild Garlic...

so any info is helpfull

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now, the introduced wild garlic is flowering again

...and I'm delighted to see young plants emerging showing that the patch is spreading

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had good results with getting this going in various gardens and allotments, both transplanting and from seed; when I've had very alkaline soil I've dumped a bag or two of ericaceous compost on and dressed with pine needles, seems to do it a treat. This treatment for the soil has also enabled me to get very nice little moss gardens going on otherwise dark and damp little shady corners that are not much good for anything else.....................

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I pickled some of the buds and the vinegar was brilliant on salad, while the little buds were a tasty bit among the greenery too.

When the bulbs become over crowded, try lifting some of them, use the leaves as normal, but wash and slice up the bulbs and flash fry them in hot butter. The resultant jus is excellent as a basis for many dishes. I use if for tofu but I have used it for venison, hare, rabbit and chicken and folks seemed to enjoy that too :)

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE