Does my ideal petrol lighter exist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers Gray. Thats a very handy bit of research. :You_Rock_ Ive just won a 3 inch cylinder trench lighter on ebay that i hope to have a go at waterproofing. Will report back

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
This is very intriguing. So we're talking Kerosene here, as in paraffin, as in lamp oil? There's a part of me that's screaming that using the wrong fuel will lead to certain death, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm just wondering what would happen if it did leak - you'd have a paraffin-soaked pocket, which could easily light. With the petrol, it just evaporates off, but paraffin leaves a wax?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
This is very intriguing. So we're talking Kerosene here, as in paraffin, as in lamp oil? There's a part of me that's screaming that using the wrong fuel will lead to certain death, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm just wondering what would happen if it did leak - you'd have a paraffin-soaked pocket, which could easily light. With the petrol, it just evaporates off, but paraffin leaves a wax?
Dont forget buddy, it soaks into the cotton wool wadding in the lighter, unless you overfill it there isnt really going to be copious ammounts of kero flowing around inside it to soak your pocket, how will using kero in a lighter lead to certain death. Were not lighting fags with them if thats what you mean, there for fire lighting etc.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Yes mate, thanks :) I had a little search for those but could only find them in the states.

One of those would make a great donor for a homemade fluid lighter :)

The Kero/paraffin idea is great Gray. I suspect it still lights because it still has some lighter fractions of hydrocarbons in it. Kero, according to some reading I've just done, freezes at -40c..

I've used Coleman fuel (White gas) and Primus Powerfuel (Heptane) too, which also lasts longer than lighter fluid I've found.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
well let us know how you get on

I'd planned to use mine on a shepard/rope lighter but didn't get round to figuring out how to attach it to the cartridge casing i was planning to use...

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Yes mate, thanks :) I had a little search for those but could only find them in the states.

One of those would make a great donor for a homemade fluid lighter :)

The Kero/paraffin idea is great Gray. I suspect it still lights because it still has some lighter fractions of hydrocarbons in it. Kero, according to some reading I've just done, freezes at -40c..

I've used Coleman fuel (White gas) and Primus Powerfuel (Heptane) too, which also lasts longer than lighter fluid I've found.
I thought of that, its only lighting because theres petrol residue in it so I've done a bit of digging and you can buy kero lighters, there just petrol lighters and i suspect they have a short wick, like this one, cheap as chips.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well ive not found my perfect lighter but ive come pretty close. Took a punt on a 3inch cylinder lighter on ebay. There were no pictures of the lighter dissasembled and i assumed it would be press fit.

It arrived today and ive had a right good score. Screw threads on both ends and will easily take an oring. Was advertised as having a flint compartment but as this has a seal on it im assuming its a spare fuel cell. £10 well spent. Ive got a new wick on order as the current one is a mess.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
This seems to fit the bill

http://bit.ly/1eLBAie

$T2eC16VHJIgFHSIb8zw!BSC5R94yfw~~60_12.JPG

Maybe not windproof enough, though...

Avoid like the plague. Terrible little lighter, took about 30+ strikes to light. On the plus side it did seal well and didn't leak, but the whole lighter part let it down.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lovely lighter Paul, looks better in your photos than on the bay. Almost perfection. I think that compartment at the bottom would be almost impossible to open with really cold fingers, I'd have a little screwdriver blade on the lanyard for opening it in an emergency-maybe a split ring would fit the slot?
Avoid like the plague. Terrible little lighter, took about 30+ strikes to light. On the plus side it did seal well and didn't leak, but the whole lighter part let it down.

I'm with Gray, you got a lemon. I have quite a few that light first time every time (except in the wind)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have seen ST Dupont spark/flint wheels for sale. When your lighter costs as much as they do, then the ability to get spare parts is pretty much a requirement.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Chuck it in the freezer with teh freezer turned right up.... if it has trouble lighting then, you know were its limit is....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE