Do not choose to Fly KLM Dutch airlines.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I might take the zippo completely apart, just take the outer case in a plastic bag, on my person.

Then in another plastic bag, put the empty inner, with the screw and spring and flint, detached, in my main luggage.

Then just carry some normal cotton balls in my, FAK, also in my main luggage.

I cant see how they can ban that.

And if security take a fancy to it, and nick it, I'll claim on my travel insurance it was lost in transit.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
ab020a8da4ba91095be1b7c29e18c61e.jpg

I happen to be flying today and with this thread in mind brought this lighter in hand luggage. I was only told off for not having my tin of lipbalm in a ziplock bag. The lighter went through unmentioned.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Good job we have all this security to protect our freedom tho' eh?

Your freedom is protected, if you don't want to risk it don't take a lighter or don't fly.
We have that choice.

If you worked on a building site you'd have to wear a hard hat, if i took you into my place of work you would need to wear a high vis jacket, if you walked into my home i'd insist you take your shoes off.
In all instances you have a choice not to enter each circumstance.

If you buy your own plane and get a pilots license then you can carry a lighter

Rather than aiming snide comments at people that work within security it might be more worth while to have a go at the terrorists that want to do us harm.

Is airport security perfect = nope

They are still doing their best to ensure your safety as a passenger.

It's easy to sit and criticise, the fact remains though that we as the public do not have all the information with regards to threats and threat levels.
Most members of the public do not know how airport security machines operate, we do not have access to these organisations accounts, so can't see how they balance training with wage and staffing levels.

We haven't worked an 11 out of 12 hour shift of countless passengers thinking they are special enough that the rules do not apply to them.
People are asked at the check in "any sharp objects" nope
"Any liquids" nope
They then walk past probably 50 large obvious signs showing what objects are not allowed.
They then get to the security check point and are asked again, nope they say

The scanner operator then sees a pen knife/large bottle/scissors etc and notifies the person, who then stands there for 20 mins arguing.

Imagine you are 11 hours into a 12 hour shift and you are the 8th "special" person that day.

So it's easy to criticise and post snide comments, but unless you actually have ALL the information in front of you it's pretty much pointless judging some ones ability at a job.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dave, chill out mate, your blowing this out of all proportion; just buy a lighter when you land.

That's what I would do. Some years ago coming back from Prague there was rules about bringing back meat. We just put our smoked ham in suitcase with the cocaine and the guns. Costomer service should know what you can take and how and it is poor service that they dont, but hey klm planes arent held together with tape and they dont charge you for using the loo. There is worse airlines.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Does chill out mate mean dont complain, dont raise your head above the parapet, just be quiet and do as youre told and dont question anything?

Mmmmmmm.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Your freedom is protected, if you don't want to risk it don't take a lighter or don't fly.
We have that choice.

If you worked on a building site you'd have to wear a hard hat, if i took you into my place of work you would need to wear a high vis jacket, if you walked into my home i'd insist you take your shoes off.
In all instances you have a choice not to enter each circumstance.

If you buy your own plane and get a pilots license then you can carry a lighter

Rather than aiming snide comments at people that work within security it might be more worth while to have a go at the terrorists that want to do us harm.

Is airport security perfect = nope

They are still doing their best to ensure your safety as a passenger.

It's easy to sit and criticise, the fact remains though that we as the public do not have all the information with regards to threats and threat levels.
Most members of the public do not know how airport security machines operate, we do not have access to these organisations accounts, so can't see how they balance training with wage and staffing levels.

We haven't worked an 11 out of 12 hour shift of countless passengers thinking they are special enough that the rules do not apply to them.
People are asked at the check in "any sharp objects" nope
"Any liquids" nope
They then walk past probably 50 large obvious signs showing what objects are not allowed.
They then get to the security check point and are asked again, nope they say

The scanner operator then sees a pen knife/large bottle/scissors etc and notifies the person, who then stands there for 20 mins arguing.

Imagine you are 11 hours into a 12 hour shift and you are the 8th "special" person that day.

So it's easy to criticise and post snide comments, but unless you actually have ALL the information in front of you it's pretty much pointless judging some ones ability at a job.
Good grief! I was criticising the policies not the people who enforce them. Most were knee jerk reactions with no real basis in fact to score political points. Some of the regulations are just crazy.

Sorry but at no point did I criticise anyone for doing their job.

Stand down. You're paranoid.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does chill out mate mean dont complain, dont raise your head above the parapet, just be quiet and do as youre told and dont question anything?

Mmmmmmm.

It means what it says, just chill out and put your perspective glasses on; a year down the line you may look at this thread and think 'what the heck was I going on about'

Have a good safe trip Dave.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Imagine you've been travelling for 24 hrs without much sleep in cramped tin cans of various guises. You boarded in America, disembarked in Heathrow for a change to get to Leeds. You have 40 minutes to get your next plane as your inbound was late landing. Your bags have already been through security yet you have to do it all over again. And that bottle of water you got given on the BA plane which you put in one of the many pockets in your bag and in your tired state forgot about flags up the bag to be searched...

Any sympathy?

The bottle was given to me on a plane by the same airline I was flying with and I'd already been cleared through US customs. I made the flight by 1 min. My luggage had been pulled off. The security duty manager really enjoyed my tired confused state as I panicked that I would miss my flight home.

Sorry you have to endure doing the job you're paid for but treat people like customers and be helpful and understanding.

I deal with difficult clients all the time but, as they're my customers I try and make things right.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Good grief! I was criticising the policies not the people who enforce them. Most were knee jerk reactions with no real basis in fact to score political points. Some of the regulations are just crazy.

Sorry but at no point did I criticise anyone for doing their job.

Stand down. You're paranoid.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but before i can accept your opinion i would be grateful if you could give us some idea of what qualifications, experience and knowledge you have to base those opinions?

Not being factious, it's just that working around this industry for so many years i've heard many opinions given, but none of yet have had any real work foundation on which to base them.

Mmmmmmm.

For what it is worth Dave i think you should be commended on your planning and having forethought enough to contact the airline before your departure
I also think your determination in the face of what seems to be very poor KLM customer service is fantastic.

So credit where it is due.

I do think that you're judgement on KLM's security responses is wrong though.
First off they are not the right authority to contact, secondly lighters are a bit of a schroeder's cat scenario.

Imagine you've been travelling for 24 hrs without much sleep in cramped tin cans of various guises. You boarded in America, disembarked in Heathrow for a change to get to Leeds. You have 40 minutes to get your next plane as your inbound was late landing. Your bags have already been through security yet you have to do it all over again. And that bottle of water you got given on the BA plane which you put in one of the many pockets in your bag and in your tired state forgot about flags up the bag to be searched...

Any sympathy?

The bottle was given to me on a plane by the same airline I was flying with and I'd already been cleared through US customs. I made the flight by 1 min. My luggage had been pulled off. The security duty manager really enjoyed my tired confused state as I panicked that I would miss my flight home.

Sorry you have to endure doing the job you're paid for but treat people like customers and be helpful and understanding.

I deal with difficult clients all the time but, as they're my customers I try and make things right.

I don't see how you being tired or in a rush is supposed to overrule security procedures :confused:
Why should your state of mind or lack of planning put every other passenger on that flight at risk?

Or are you suggesting that terrorists NEVER look stressed of flustered?

The security staff are not employed or paid by the airline, you are not their customers and they are not employed to be helpful.
They are employed and judged on how they adhere to the CAA regulations.
This is 100% to keep you as a passenger safe.

I did not say i work on the security check points, so i don't have to "endure" anything.
Knowing and spending time with the security staff that do though they have my utmost sympathy and understanding, it's a job that offers low pay, long and unsociable hours and although the vast vast majority of passengers are responsible intelligent people, there is also more than a fair share of stupid ignorant passengers that feel that because they are obviously not a terrorist or because they are in a rush the rules do not apply to them.

I have flown a LOT with my work and i have NEVER had a problem at a security check point.
It's not really rocket science the list of prohibited items is clearly stated on the check in desk, usually with clear pictures.
There are then many many posters throughout the airport clearly showing prohibited items.
Then there are larger even clearer posters at the start of the security check point.
Even after ALL that passengers are asked at the start of the security checkpoint queue if they have any of the prohibited items on them.

For future reference there are 2 separate security areas at a airport
Land side and air side
Any food or beverage that has made it through to air side has passed several security check points and checks.
Any food or beverage air side has not

If you take an item from air side to land side it will need to go through the entire security procedure again.

As land side items are easily mixed with non checked items how can it not?

So you must have passed at least a half a dozen posters telling you your water was not permitted.
You must have been asked at least once if you have any liquids in your hand luggage to which you must have lied (otherwise why would your luggage have been pulled), yet you still feign outrage that the clearly stated rules apply to you.

Do you see what i mean about "special" passengers?

Do you not think Mr ISIS or Mr Alan qaeda is able to feign outrage or ignorance if it gets him to his goal?

The security staff are trained to not only ignore your outrage and stress, they are trained to pick up on it.

For non regular fliers i can sympathise and understand that it all might be a bit bewildering.
The best bet it to err on the side of caution, pack a SAE with you snd leave plenty of time in case you need to post your lighter, pen knife back to yourself.

As a regular flier though your best bet is to not take anything in your hand luggage that's sharp, flammable or has liquid.
3 things that'll make flying a LOT easier.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Do they not sell lighters in the airport in Sweden? Pretty weird if they don't as they do more or less everywhere else... even Cork airport (read as two converted prefab wriggly tin cowsheds and Maureen 'da customs orificer') had a kiosk - I've never travelled to Sweden, so I may be completely wrong.

This post surprises me and depresses me in equal proportion. I've flown into/out of Cork Airport many times and I don't think it could be described as "two converted prefab wriggly tin cowsheds" and the condescending description of "Maureen 'da customs orificer'" sounds like a line from a Bernard Manning Irish joke. Since I couldn't quickly lay hands on the photo's I took at Cork Airport, I will attach below two photo's from the 'net of one of the buildings (the airport comprises several buildings) which won an international architectural award. Not exactly "two converted prefab wriggly tin cowsheds" ...
CorkAirport2_zps19fd0a66.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CorkAirport_zpse868a587.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Imagine you've been travelling for 24 hrs without much sleep in cramped tin cans of various guises. You boarded in America, disembarked in Heathrow for a change to get to Leeds. You have 40 minutes to get your next plane as your inbound was late landing. Your bags have already been through security yet you have to do it all over again. And that bottle of water you got given on the BA plane which you put in one of the many pockets in your bag and in your tired state forgot about flags up the bag to be searched........

.....I don't see how you being tired or in a rush is supposed to overrule security procedures :confused:
Why should your state of mind or lack of planning put every other passenger on that flight at risk?

It's not really rocket science the list of prohibited items is clearly stated on the check in desk, usually with clear pictures.
There are then many many posters throughout the airport clearly showing prohibited items.
Then there are larger even clearer posters at the start of the security check point.
Even after ALL that passengers are asked at the start of the security checkpoint queue if they have any of the prohibited items on them.

Land side and air side
Any food or beverage that has made it through to air side has passed several security check points and checks.

If you take an item from air side to land side it will need to go through the entire security procedure again.

As land side items are easily mixed with non checked items how can it not?........

.........So you must have passed at least a half a dozen posters telling you your water was not permitted.........

To be fair it doesn't sound as if he ever left the secure side. Sounds more like he was just going from one gate to another. Am I right Mountain? Or did you have to go outside the secure area to another concourse?

And no. The "land side" is NOT a secure area.

xylaria

The regs for airports and the postal system are giving in to terror and part of oppressing the people. I lived in dublin as a child during the seventies. I remember getting frisked standing on a table. The security guard looked in my knickers so I slapped him and told him he was naughty. I have watched footage of modern children doing the same at american airports and it makes me feel really sick. You see the terrorist intelligence that said the ira smuggled bombs in womens underware was propaganda designed to justify assaulting Catholic women, the bombs in nappies was garda take on the same rubbish to spread the idea that protestants dont love thier children. Seriously this how propaganda works. Make everyone stand naked in a scanner, make mothers drink a bottle of expressed breast milk, arrest parents tht complain about thier children being assaulted. We have the traded our liberty for security and got niether, we have tyranny.

.....and the building fell at freefall speed.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Dave,
For what it is worth I have 5 Scandi arctic trips, each time with small pouch of personal rolling tobacco and my Zippo
which I place on the tray along with loose change, my watch, belt, phone etc..
No issues yet
I have been with buddies who have taken more than one ( which,I of course would LIKE to do, back up and all that..) and they have had the spares confiscated
but one allowed ( NOT Turbo lighters, they don't like them! ).
Good luck, stay safe and enjoy your trip.
Best.

Chris.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The regs for airports and the postal system are giving in to terror and part of oppressing the people. I lived in dublin as a child during the seventies. I remember getting frisked standing on a table. The security guard looked in my knickers so I slapped him and told him he was naughty. I have watched footage of modern children doing the same at american airports and it makes me feel really sick......

In that footage; how did the kids slap the TSA agent? They're inside the scanning machine and he/she is outside it looking at a nude image of them on an electronic screen (still too much intrusion for my tastes) Nobody's physically searched unless they spot something on the imager, and then they're taken to a private room and completely strip searched (not frisked) by an agent of the same gender.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
On checking, you're absolutely right it wasn't Cork at all... I flew out of Cork and into Galway. I had rather a large case with me and, on arrival in Galway actually broke the window at the front of the terminal as I entered from the air side with aforementioned large case. I too photographed the airport and cannot find my picture... here is a link to one I just Googled, small plane for scale:

slide2.jpg

Bernard Manning
Damn, I was hoping more for Roy 'Chubby' Brown.

In fact, now I come to think of it, Maureen wasn't the customs orificer (well she may have been too but I never did find out her name) but the trolley dolly on the connection from Cork to Galway I almost missed due to being held up in customs for having an electrical tool kit complete with curly anti-static strap and mobile phone in my hand luggage.

xylaria

In that footage; how did the kids slap the TSA agent? They're inside the scanning machine and he/she is outside it looking at a nude image of them on an electronic screen (still too much intrusion for my tastes) Nobody's physically searched unless they spot something on the imager, and then they're taken to a private room and completely strip searched (not frisked) by an agent of the same gender.

I smacked the security gaurd when I was 4. I cant search youtube videos as I has just moved house and I am on a mobile download plan. It was an american child shouting words to effect of dont touch my ninny (???) You are not supposed to touch me there. It wasnt the only video showing tsa searches. It maybe footage from before they used the scanners, it is still the state sponsored abuse imo. I have worked in a prison, where i have been searched where the undercarriage are felt through clothes. It is really invasive even when necessary. They should be only used where there is a credible direct threat.

Last edited:

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Several times during flight connections I've had to dump water purchased airside before boarding the onward flight. Some airports have security screening areas set up right at the gate which they seem to activate at random. The only warning you get is when one of the gate staff goes on the PA and announces everyone will have to dump any liquids they are carrying. I can understand the logic... After all, in an airside concourse with passengers from 100s of flights mingling together, the airside is only as secure as the LEAST secure airport a passenger could have arrived from.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but before i can accept your opinion i would be grateful if you could give us some idea of what qualifications, experience and knowledge you have to base those opinions?

One failed shoe bombing and we all had to take our shoes off (a decision that's slowly being reversed which proves my point if nothing else). Had he stashed the explosives up his bum would we all be subject to a cavity search?

I don't see how you being tired or in a rush is supposed to overrule security procedures :confused:

I don't see why i still shouldn't be treated with respect and understanding just because someone's worked a long shift.

The security staff are not employed or paid by the airline, you are not their customers and they are not employed to be helpful.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

They are employed and judged on how they adhere to the CAA regulations.
This is 100% to keep you as a passenger safe.

I did not say i work on the security check points, so i don't have to "endure" anything.
Sorry your little imaginary scenario implied just that. ..

Knowing and spending time with the security staff that do though they have my utmost sympathy and understanding, it's a job that offers low pay, long and unsociable hours and although the vast vast majority of passengers are responsible intelligent people, there is also more than a fair share of stupid ignorant passengers that feel that because they are obviously not a terrorist or because they are in a rush the rules do not apply to them.

I have flown a LOT with my work and i have NEVER had a problem at a security check point.
Which explains your attitude...

Land side and air side

As land side items are easily mixed with non checked items how can it not?

I thought that too. But changing for Leeds to Heathrow they take you "landside" (actually that's an assumption, at no point was it clear we'd gone landside) as there is no checkout security at Leeds. However this isn't made clear, we weren't expecting to have to go through security for an ongoing flight, normally you wouldn't go landside for that. I was hot and tired and running for my plane and had no reason to believe my security status had changed since I boarded in America. To compound things the train from my terminal to my next one was cancelled and I was about to miss my flight home.
None of this was my fault and yet I had to queue up behind people who weren't flying for another 2 hrs whilst bags that had been deemed safe to fly were checked again. At this point my gate was officially closed. The system is clearly flawed. There was no reason to take me landside until we arrived at our destination. I'm human and fallible I'd forgotten about the dregs of water and the small plastic bottle goven to me on the plane. Every none security employee was understanding and fastracked me through. Even the junior security staff were helpful. I only asked to be allowed The possibility to jump the queue and have my bag searched first. It took 3 other passengers voicing there disapproval (of the duty manager) to persuade the duty manner to check my bag before theirs. He wasn't even prepared to ask anyone if he could. He basically told me "hard luck".

Now if it was me I would've asked if anyone else in the queue was catching a flight in the next 30 minutes. Them I would've prioritised the person about to miss there flight. Just like every other human being in the airport did.

So you must have passed at least a half a dozen posters telling you your water was not permitted.
You must have been asked at least once if you have any liquids in your hand luggage to which you must have lied (otherwise why would your luggage have been pulled), yet you still feign outrage that the clearly stated rules apply to you.

My rage isn't at the rules, I reserve contempt for some of those. It's about the officious little dictators that some of those rules seem to attract. People who think there job entitles them to treat people like sub humans.

Security are employed by the government who are answerable to the people. We are not only customers we are employers. Treat people with respect and be understanding. I don't give a fig how long your shift has been and how many special passengers you've seen - treat people with respect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE