do I need a bivy with a tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Nobody ever needs a bivvy bag. We survived thousands of years without them. I'd say they're handy though when using a tarp as a tarp set up leave you potentially more vulnerable to changeable conditions, compared to a tent. I always pack a bivvy bag for that reason. They're a handy and versatile bit of kit if things go pear shaped. I don't mean in a survival situation, I mean it can prevent an early trip home and a ruined weekend.

rg598

Native
Hi

I read about the Ultra Lamina, and it seems great. But hard to get a hold of in Sweden and would probably be to expensive. Lamina 0 (not Ultralamina) cost 1759 SEK compared to the Marmot-bag for 1195 SEK. I hope that the Marmot-bag will be a good choice now that I've ordered it.
Btw I read your review on the MSS in your blog earlier this summer. It was a really good review.

//Axel

Thanks Axel. The Marmot Trestles 15 is a good bag. It should cover all of your needs. It is slightly heavier than some others, but it's very warm.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
True, a lot of military bags have better reinforced foot boxes (although the US MMSS isn't one of them) but I've yet to see one big enough to wear boots in. And as you said, "....it's not the brightest.

I've slept in my boots in a 95 doss bag many times Buddy....it's not the warmest or most comfortable way to sleep but beats scrambling round to get your boots on in a drama lol. If we had access to sandbags we'd stick them over our boots when they were really muddy to help protect the inside of the bag. it was definitely an army "thing" for obvious reasons and would, as Julia said, not be the brightest thing :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Nanok Endurance SF sleeping bags (of which I have 3) come with an insert specifically designed for wearing boots in the bag. Its effectively a waterproof protector for the boot area of the bag.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
When hillwalking I still sleep in boots or trainers just in case I have to get up in the dark. Saves messing about and I feel warmer with them on.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Nanok Endurance SF sleeping bags (of which I have 3) come with an insert specifically designed for wearing boots in the bag. Its effectively a waterproof protector for the boot area of the bag.

They work very well, my feet are a bit rough, especially after a summer of sandal wearing and they can quickly start to wear away the foot of my bags.

I usually have a large tarp and don't usually carry a bivi bag.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've slept in my boots in a 95 doss bag many times Buddy....it's not the warmest or most comfortable way to sleep but beats scrambling round to get your boots on in a drama lol. If we had access to sandbags we'd stick them over our boots when they were really muddy to help protect the inside of the bag. it was definitely an army "thing" for obvious reasons and would, as Julia said, not be the brightest thing :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

I've no idea what a "95 doss bag" is. Could you sleep in your boots in a military bag? Possibly. Apparently so if you've done it. I never did (I also have big feet) and I slept for months having to jump out of the bag and into chem gear as we scrambled for the shelters when the scud alarms went off.

Are military bags made to sleep with your boots on? None I was ever issued were so made. Would my boots even fit in the foot box of a military bag? Mine wouldn't; not in any bag I was issued (all bags between 1976 and 1997) nor the current US Army MMSS. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the current Marine Corps bag though.

I have no experience with this bag.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've no idea what a "95 doss bag" is.

Sorry...rude of me to assume you'd know :) I'm referring to a British Army issue, Solder 95 Pattern Sleeping bag.

I think it's less to do with possible NBC attacks and more with being bumped in the night.....covert op discovered, patrol harbour compromised, that sort of thing. It wasn't sop to sleep in boots while on exercise but sometimes when the risk of a drama was high it just made sence. As I said, not much application in civvy life unless it just happens to work for you (as per MikeLA's post below), for me I find my feet get cold (possibly due to restricted blood flow from boots) so I don't do it.

Does that make more sence mate? :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry...rude of me to assume you'd know :) I'm referring to a British Army issue, Solder 95 Pattern Sleeping bag.

I think it's less to do with possible NBC attacks and more with being bumped in the night.....covert op discovered, patrol harbour compromised, that sort of thing. It wasn't sop to sleep in boots while on exercise but sometimes when the risk of a drama was high it just made sence. As I said, not much application in civvy life unless it just happens to work for you (as per MikeLA's post below), for me I find my feet get cold (possibly due to restricted blood flow from boots) so I don't do it.

Does that make more sence mate? :)

Yeah, much clearer now. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE