Diy Jerry Can wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Zinc burns off pretty quickly at a high enough temperature, on galvanized stuff it's only a thin layer. Once it's gone it's gone. You'll see a powdery whiteish zinc oxide coating and usually some yellowish crud looking like sulphur which will all brush off easily.

Most cans will be steel, usually plated with tin. Another common material is aluminium - many soft drinks cans for example. Some are a mixture, e.g. a steel can with aluminium lid. Use a magnet to check, if it's aluminium a magnet won't stick to it.

Well that's good to know. When I replace the tins I'll just get a good fire going and let it burn off!
Well I seen the wee magnetic icon on the coffee tins, so I knew they weren't aluminium. Just curious as to what type of steel they are made from? Never knew some would be steel plated with tin on top!

Cheers again! ☺

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Looks like 2 pics didn't work. :confused: here they are.

1356.jpg 948.jpg.

(I've toyed with the idea of making a 2L oil can into a stack robber / heat exchanger!)

Do you mean like the one for the Frontier stove.

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Looks great! Sapporo cans for the flue?

I'm not really sure if it's for a frontier stove? I found this diagram;
04d211267d784abca65befedbaffe01c.jpg

A design similar to that!
Although I do have to get the stove running efficiently before I even start thinking about making one! Haha

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Yeah the sapporo tins always look good!
Ah I think something like that is more for boiling water.
The design I'm thinking of is more to trap heat from escaping up the flue and transferring it into the room;
652fac9d048231ba44453e5dee2930ba.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd only be worried about the zinc on the cans if you were doing first burns in your tent. You mentioned replacing the cans every time they burnt through, which is why I was concerned.

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
I'd only be worried about the zinc on the cans if you were doing first burns in your tent. You mentioned replacing the cans every time they burnt through, which is why I was concerned.

Understandable mate. Thanks for letting me know though as I actually didn't know about zinc fumes ☺

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Well I seen the wee magnetic icon on the coffee tins, so I knew they weren't aluminium. Just curious as to what type of steel they are made from? Never knew some would be steel plated with tin on top! ...

It's called a "tin of beans" because it's in a "tin can" which is usually a steel can coated with tin, ot "tinned". You can "tin" things with solder, and they used to do that originally, but people started to get lead poisoning because the solder was something like half lead and half tin and the lead dissolved in the food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_can So it's different today.

You could do a university degree course on tin cans and still only have, er, scratched the surface. Take a look at page 6 of this for a nice picture of one kind of can.

http://packaging.arcelormittal.com/...rMittal Packaging 2013 - Landscape format.pdf

The steel will be more or less 'mild' or very low alloy steel but specifically impurities (especially oxygen) will be carefully controlled ('killed' steels) and heat treatment will depend on the application:

http://www.twi-global.com/technical...s-made-using-different-deoxidation-practices/

This is all because most steels will rust, or dissolve in acid foods like canned fruits, so in cans they're coated to prevent that. The coating can be a paint or something like that instead, or even in addition.

So if you pick a random selection of cans you'll have all sorts of very complex technologies represented there.

In a can made from tin plated steel, the steel will be fractions of a millimetre thick, the tin coating fractions of a micrometre thick, and the passivation layers (chromium, oil) nanometres thick.

Zinc coatings like in galvanized stuff are a completely different animal, but all the same the coating is primarily to prevent corrosion, and usually thin compared with the steel component.
Galvanized steel is usually a grey colour, like a metal dustbin, and mrcharly makes a good point that fumes from burning galvanized things are bad for you.
Aluminium and galvanized steel can be difficult to tell apart by colour alone, but you'll know as soon as you pick them up or if you have a magnet handy. :)

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Update!
Seeing as it was another grey, wet day in Scotland. I thought no time like the present to play with fire haha.

So as said previously I had a go a widening the flue;
b3c6ad11758fd8c5fa168a68b6fe47e4.jpg

Which left me this;
7c5c87a9a3bc8253ba24619ef4533dca.jpg

I smoothed it off, fitted my flue and fired it up!

What a difference! Once a fire was established, I closed the door and it burned away quite happily with no smoke coming out the door! Albeit probably still burning too fast, but a lot slower than before! I can address that problem at a later date with air intake adjusters / fixing the door! The flue is still quite short as pictured. Although I have another 4 coffee cans waiting to be attached together. There is quite a bit of smoke coming out the flue pictured below but that was when it had just been lit, once I had it going it was burning relatively smokeless!

The jerry can does radiate a lot of heat, although I did notice an incredible amount it escapes up the flue! So some sort of stack robber / heat exchanger may come in handy!
58a622033ae0a746452009b40b32dc04.jpg

Happy days.

Last edited:

bobskie

Nov 2, 2015
Scotland
Update!
Seeing as it was another grey, wet day in Scotland. I thought no time like the present to play with fire haha.

So as said previously I had a go a widening the flue;
b3c6ad11758fd8c5fa168a68b6fe47e4.jpg

Which left me this;
7c5c87a9a3bc8253ba24619ef4533dca.jpg

I smoothed it off, fitted my flue and fired it up!

What a difference! Once a fire was established, I closed the door and it burned away quite happily with no smoke coming out the door! Albeit probably still burning too fast, but a lot slower than before! I can address that problem at a later date with air intake adjusters / fixing the door! The flue is still quite short as pictured. Although I have another 4 coffee cans waiting to be attached together. There is quite a bit of smoke coming out the flue pictured below but that was when it had just been lit, once I had it going it was burning relatively smokeless!
58a622033ae0a746452009b40b32dc04.jpg

Happy days.

Looks nice and warm! Had mine fired up last night for bonfire night in the garden, probably the final time because the cracks are increasing in size :yikes:. Don't want it falling over on me! Good luck with the stove hope it lasts you a long time!

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Yeah safety first!
I hope the jerry can lasts a while too!

Anyone know the easiest way to upload videos to here? Tried it through the tapatalk app on my phone but it keeps crashing!

Barkclark

Nov 3, 2015
United Kingdom
Apologies for the poor quality.[video]https://youtu.be/LtDIV7Qqv5Q[/video]
Please ignore my futile attempt at boiling water! [video]https://youtu.be/O18EQhb-iDY[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE