Deval Bushcrafter #378 by Stuart Mitchell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Well she is back home & what a thing she is. It much chunkier than I was expecting & weighs a bit, but I like that as I find quite a few knife handles a bit small. It has a lovely balance with a very solid feel to it. It just has quality written all over it. I was very relieved to get it this morning & only got a 30 second look at it in the car (in an industrial estate) before I was off to work. I have spent 1o mins with it now & just love it. There is only one word for it: SOLID, as it is built like a tank.

Thanks for all your concern as I had visions of some local chav mugging people with it but it has all turned out well in the end. I am one happy customer, so a big thanks to JD & StuartM for sorting this out. He even send me a nice 10"x3" thick padded case to put it in.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Forgot to say that my other package, from Uncle Ray, had one of his firesteel blanks in it, so I have a good quality firesteel for the Rig. When I got home, the package from PikeBite (on here & BB) was waiting for me which has two lumps of matching wood to make firesteel ends. So guess what I am making tonight.

I am toying with getting some more of the wood to have a matching spoon knife & crook knife.

Yes Nova, I will bringing it along at the weekend for it's first proper outing, so you can have a good go with it, but I WILL want it back....

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It is larger than your average bushy knife. I wanted it to perform more tasks than your average bush knife of the puuko/Woodlore size and be a knife that yuo can really use hard for life. The handle is big, but trust me, after using it for a few hours and you go back to a thinner handle, you'll wonder how you ever found them comfortable.

Glad you got it OK though.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I know what you mean. I keep picking it up and it just feels so solid and strong, so I would have the confidance to tackle bigger jobs that I would with my current knife. The idea of a big handle has been growing on me for a while now, so it will be interesting to see how I get on with it at the weekend, where I plan to do lots of carving with it. I had it in my mind that it was going to be one of those Bernie Graland type knives & was pleasantly surprised when I saw how chunky it was. It has a thick slab of 01 in there that you can really feel when you hold it. I can see why you keep buying them...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE