Denatured Alcohol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I know that denatured alcohol is the best to use for an alcohol burner...but where do I get it? and will I be able to buy it (being only 16) ?

Thanks

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
Hello, I just picked up a bottle of meths from B&Q the other day and hit the age restriction on the self serve tills - the new 'do they look 25' bit same as alcohol so I'm assuming it's an 18 limit.

EDIT: According to the B&Q website diy.com it's 21
You can always try smaller / independent retailers who won't have corporate regulations and what not.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There has been laws in Scotland about selling meths since the 1930s

I recall being amazed by them thirty years ago

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
how long do meths tend to burn for? for example say if i had a 1/4 of a pints worth of meths (first thing that came to mind) how long roughly would that burn for? just trying to get an idea of how efficient they are.

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
I still don't know - at 16 you can purchase petrol easily enough. From what I can see from a quick google the law in Scotland used to be 14 - but the act was repealed in '98 so uh fair game?

Try Hombase / Focus etc or as I say an independent hardware shop if you are still stuck for any one to buy for you.

EDIT: about 20ml boiled a mugs worth of water for me this morning in a coke can stove and burned out quickly after.
16 and thinking in pints? my my :p

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good example to use! im thinking of making one of those coke can stoves, look very interesting! and thanks, how long does it take to boil? and :p :rolleyes: I can assure you that it has NOTHING to do with the lager I'm drinking just after my sunday dinner :D BUT i'm only having the one, dont worry :approve: :surrender:

Last edited:

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
Lol, I won't say a thing.

it took about 9 minutes for it to boil using an Al mess tin with tin foil lid. I'm playing with different set ups atm, been on the energy drinks today to make a smaller one but I'm needing to make a wind-shield / stand / container. And then I'll be racing it against a SS Trangia :)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
do you have one of those ikea cutlery drainers that everyone is turning into hobo stoves? I've done the same with mine but I was also thinking that I could quite easily make a platform halfway up that and use that as a windshield? reckon that would work? also, how far above the little coke can stove have you been putting the mug ? or do you just put it directly ontop?

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
Tried sitting it straight on top with can-stove mkI but it just snuffed it so it has been sat about 20mm above or so. I've got a bit of experimenting to do still tbh.

Nope, not got anything like that - was eyeing up a kitchen caddie in pound stretchers though...

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I bought a Methylated Spirits bottle from B&Q and it clearly said "21+" not even 18! I thought that was very weird...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
You used to be able to get a licence to use DNA for camping.
They've stopped that now AFAIK so you can only use meths really
I'm told mixing with 10% water helps cut down on the sooting effect but haven't tried it.

Mark

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Its a bit before my time, but to buy meths in Scotland you used to have to sign a register. But that's a wee while ago now...

The trouble with the mineralised meths available in the uk is that the minerals (whatever they are) clog up a Trangia's burner holes.

I used to buy denatured alcohol (without minerals) from a chemical suppliers, the type of place that supplies university's. But now a friend brings it over from France: the stuff pongs but doesn't have minerals in it. The best meths ever was Swiss (typical, eh): it burned beatifully, didn't smell auful and was relatively cheap. It was hard to find in Spain.

I've always fancied making proper wood alcohol, but its pretty nasty stuff so not sure about handling it or using it to cook food from.

Just rambling,

y0dsa

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
I bought some meths from B&Q near the end of last year. the conversation at the till went like this (true story):

till man: can I ask you, do you intend to either sniff it, drink it, or otherwise abuse it?

me: yes, I'm going to go back to my car, wrap it in a paper bag, then swig it furtively.

till man: £3.50 please sir

:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE