Deer hunting, bows, and .22 / .308 stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I don't recall saying it wasn't.

I did say that his thread was in the wrong place (kit chatter :confused: ) and that this topic was only a small part of what interests most members. That comment was made since this was his second thread in that vein and he appeared to be under the impression that hunting was a major focus for the forum.

Toddy

Right then, we need a hunting sub-forum. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The boss has already considered it.
However, there are times when we attract the more, rabid is the wrong word, but I mean folks who believe that the *only* way to survive is to kill beasts by any means possible :rolleyes: and those who believe that they'll do what they like and they'll say it for the world to see, and those that believe that the laws of the land don't apply to them :sigh:

We try to keep things legal, all information as accurate as is possible, and the forum is seen to neither promote or encourage illegal activity.

Fair Game has become the area we use for hunting, shooting and fishing topics, generally, and any other threads that show rather too much gore for the casual user, or those on shared terminals in schools, colleges, etc.,

This isn't meant as a negative restriction, it's simply a practical one when the forum covers an immense range of activities and interests.

cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Don't become fixated wit the idea that you must have something as heavy as a .308 for deer mate. Most 'lowland' stalking (woodland and farm land like you'll find around your way) is generally done with a .243. If you do plan on having one rifle that will do it all, up to and including red deer on the moor (bigger species and often longer ranges) then a Win. .270 will do it happily.
There's nothing that wanders around the UK that a properly loaded and well handled .270 won't drop on the spot.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I personally I would point you in the direction of the 260/6.5x55 over any other caliber for UK stalking,with perhaps a .257 roberts if you stumble on one (and if you do and it also happens to be a Ruger #1 then PM me and I will have it if you dont!!!!)

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
I've spoken to my FEO, a local rifle man, and a man off the THL forum tonight....

It seems the land is my problem for the .243 (or bigger) licence. the farm I have permission on in order to get the licence is only big enough for a rim fire. soooo, it was suggested that I might try using my in-laws farm in wales... 300 acres on the side of a welsh mountain with very few people around. Even so, without being able to prove the existance of roe deer on that farm, they wouldn't give me a .243.... BUT I could get a .22250 for 'foxes' and it's also the legal min cal for muntjac. Then I've just got to wait 3 years before I apply for an open licence, and bobs your auntie...

god this is complecated!!!

somewhere in those 3 years I've got to try and hook up with some stalkery types to get into the local deer scene, and add some legitamacy to an 'addition' on my licence for a .243

makes sense?

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Don't become fixated wit the idea that you must have something as heavy as a .308 for deer mate. Most 'lowland' stalking (woodland and farm land like you'll find around your way) is generally done with a .243. If you do plan on having one rifle that will do it all, up to and including red deer on the moor (bigger species and often longer ranges) then a Win. .270 will do it happily.
There's nothing that wanders around the UK that a properly loaded and well handled .270 won't drop on the spot.

they ruin rabbits though lol

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Bowhunting is illegal in the UK but apparantly a catapult can be used to great effect, is discreet and non threatening (Goliath's apart ;) ).
There were a few threads not so long ago about using them; illegal for deer though right enough.

cheers,
Toddy

I thought catties were for small boys and spreading fish bait, then I saw my friend take a rabbit at 40 yards, then the one next to it. No misses, no injuries, just clean kills. Amazing stuff.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

I prefer the .308 in my limited experience. Surprisingly less meat damage, and the ones I shot went down a lot more quickly.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Countryfile - Sunday - Deer Stalker shortage

Have a look at this thread.

It cannot be land specfic because it is a job, you go were the work is. Did seem to be very expense, very complicated, and would take lots of time.

What you really need to do is find your nearest deer herd? National trust houses etc, and then found out how they deal with their deer. If they cull, go see them, and have a chat.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
"Best caliber for (you fill in the blank)" arguments go on endlessly here in America and I'm amused to see they go on in the UK as well. As a person who has hunted all my life, and I'm not that young, perhaps I might be allowed a few random observations.

Some calibers preform better than the ballistic charts, would indicate. But, by all means check out the ballistics of anything you are looking at purchasing.

Observations on some of the calibers mentioned:
.22-250 Remington -- I have a friend in Arkansas that makes a clean kill every year on a deer with one. I own one myself, but consider it marginal, at best, for deer.

.257 Roberts -- Hard to find, even here, yet this is, in my opinion, one of the best deer cartridges ever. Light recoil, hard hitting, fairly good ballistics, great on deer.

.308 -- Was designed to replace the 30-06. Ballistically about the same as a 30-06, but inherently more accurate. One of the best "all-round" cartridges out there. Perhaps more than one needs for smaller deer.

6.5X55 -- great cartridge, fairly light recoil, inherently accurate. 6.5 cartridges penetrate better than most, due to the extremely long bullet compared to bullet diameter. Wonderful deer cartridge.

.270 -- The biggest argument around hunting campfires in America is which is best, the .270 or the 30-06? Never been settled yet. Never will be. I personally prefer it over a .30-06. It will not only kill everything in the UK, as stated above, it will kill everything in North America as well, although I certainly would not recommend it for the larger bears, such as the Grizzly. There are better cartridges out there for that.

Lastly, remember that by handloading, and careful choice of bullets and bullet weights, any calibers can be loaded up or down to suit the situation. A .308, for example can be loaded with a lighter bullet and a lower powder charge and take deer easily with little meat damage. Bullets vary greatly. Buy the best bullet that you can. Know why you are buying that particular bullet.

If you are new to hunting, here is one of the best pieces of advice anyone ever gave me: Put up a standard sized paper plate on a target backstop. Get out about 50 meters and fire 3 shots at it. If you hit it, (all three time!) back up another 50 meters and repeat. Continue to do this until you miss. Subtract 50 meters and whatever distance you come up with is YOUR maximum shooting distance. (A paper plate is approximately the same diameter as the kill zone of a deer.) If you can't keep all three bullets in that plate, you shouldn't take that shot on a deer. If you do this with a scoped rifle don't think you can duplicate it with open sights.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
It seems the land is my problem for the .243 (or bigger) licence. the farm I have permission on in order to get the licence is only big enough for a rim fire.

That is just typical police BS. They think that a 308 is more dangerous that a 22. Any firearm is dangerous period. There is nothing in the gun law legislation that says you have to either have a DSC, 300+ acres or anything like this.
Basically the police just don't like giving out gun licenses, so they try and restrict you even though they have no power to. They'll just `recommend` stuff that they don't actually have the power to enforce.

Get a copy of the legislation and take a look for yourself - it's all black and white stuff.

Or move to a country with more appropriate laws. There was a guy selling old army-issue rifles in the local market last week - I was tempted to get a siwss-army 1960 bolt-action rifle for 30CHF..

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Try looking for info on Airgunbbs forum, it's not just for the air rifle user, some very experienced people on there, and opportunities to connect.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE