Deer fat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've been given about a kilo of roe deer fat by a gamekeeper following a cull. What can I do with it? Can it be used to cook roast spuds in? Is there anything I can make from it? Cheers

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
has it been rendered or is it just lumps cut from the carcass? Good for roast tatties, if not rendered that's the first thing, put in pyrex dish or similar in low oven for a long time. Rayburn overnight is ideal. Keep rendered fat in fridge.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yep its just in lumps straight off the beast. I will have a go at rendering it tonight. How long is a long time to put it in the oven, and at what temp??

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
As my daughter says ....eeeeeewwwwww.....

There is a lot on them this year, some say it's because the maize was about for them for another two months. Should see a lot of them through.

16ga

May 13, 2011
Canada
Deer fat tastes terrible, use it for soap but don't try eating it. I have been hunting deer and doing my own butchering for years and the most time consuming part of the whole process is making sure I get every scrap of deer fat off the meat. Just my opinion, good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE