Decent Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
I use an insulated plastic mug made by Culinare that has a plunger built into it. The coffee it makes may not be up to espresso standard but it saves carrying an extra piece of kit.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I use an insulated plastic mug made by Culinare that has a plunger built into it. The coffee it makes may not be up to espresso standard but it saves carrying an extra piece of kit.

Yep, either one of those or the Jetboil cafetiere attachment.

Got to have a good coffee in the morning.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Just about the best coffee I ever drunk was in texas and it was 'cowboy coffee'. Basically whole beans crushed between stones and then bought to a rolling boil and left to simmer.

The cowboys brew it for a long time which pulls out about a dozen chemicals that you dont get in 'ordinary' coffee. I have done it a few times now and it works best doing it fresh and just keeping ti topped uo. They used one of those old enamel coffee pots, which for some reason makes a differance.

Sandsnakes

Feb 4, 2009
Steyning
I did try 'cowboy coffee' yesterday wasnt bad, so i think if i just get a few paper filters ill be set, plus not much more wiegt either, just to get used to drinking it black now

Short, and not entirely disconnected true story:
A few years ago my wife bought me a top of the range Gaggia coffee machine for my birthday, which we still use at home. Shortly after this I was working in Brazil, with some very well connected people, when after dinner the conversation turned to coffee. I proudly, and naively babbled on about what excellent coffee I drank at home from my Gaggia.
A young woman opposite me who had been quietly listening to my story, said "I like my Grandfather's coffee".
Like the fool I am I fell head first in to the trap and said "Oh! Has he got a Gaggia too?"
"No", she said, "He's got a coffee plantation."

When the laughter had subsided, she explained that at certain times of year, when she visited her Grandfather on the plantation, they would walk up into the hills of the plantation just after sunrise. Then they would pick the young green beans from the plants, roast them in a frying pan over a camp fire, grind them in a small mortar and pestle, and brew a morning coffee whilst watching the rising sun clear the early mist from the plantation.
Now that sounds like a good cup of coffee!

Out and about myself, I have one of those mini espresso machines, but quantity is too small, only a tiny cup fits under the spout,. and it's difficult to sit on my stoves. So I currently use either one of the mugs with built in plunger, or a little reusable mesh filter cone thing that sits on top of the cup.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I always drink coffee "cowboy style" when camping, you've just got to make sure the water is boiling and that you leave it long enough to settle. Basically add a couple of spoons of filter coffee to the cup, pour on boiling water, stir and wait. Sometimes worth adding a few drops of cold water or gentle stir the surface to help it settle... just don't drink the dregs!

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Last time I made coffee outdoors, I put the boiled water in a pan then added two tablespoons of grounds and stirred a couple of times.

Then gave it a couple of minutes, before tapping the side of the pan ( allegedly this drops the grounds to the bottom) and then pouring through a tea strainer!

Yes the tea strainer is my not-so-secret magic weapon in this.

the amounts above are of course approximate and the next time I make backwoods coffee it will probably be vile!

Cheers, Alan.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
All devices for making an "Espresso" have the disadvantage of too small a volume for drinking. So I have to forego it outside the house and use a drip filter cone, together with this from Tatonka:
http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfoe.dll?4123&0
Or you can try this, which gives you a cup up to 220ml out of a max of 12gr of coffee:
http://www.esbit.de/fileadmin/templ...rld.pdf?sess=a7a3c705a981c14be0cdff865a9a9834
You can leave the stove-part at home and put in on another small gas stove or use this solid fuel stove with a small pot for a meal.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I got myself a Vietnamese coffee filter from these guys via evilBay - http://www.caphevn.co.uk/

Weighs very little, makes a great cup, and you can store enough filter coffee for a dozen brews inside it.

(No connection to the company, just a happy customer)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I been toying the question for a while now and here is my recipie

1. Take a crusdaer cup and fill it to the first mark with water (250ml i think)
2. Take 2 senseo coffee pads and throw them in
3. Fit home made lid
4. Place cup on fire bring to the boil
5. Take of and stir press the bags with a spoon and then put back on fire to simmer for a few seconds

6 take of the fire pour into cups drink

mmmmmmmm

I have tried this method on The dutch bushcrafters and its recommended
I have tried this method with two bushcrafter wives and that was also a success

So.. I hope it works for you to..

I tried it with cheaper bags (lidel, aldi) and they are not quite the same drinkable but not quite there..

I use senseo regular..

Simon

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I always drink coffee "cowboy style" when camping, you've just got to make sure the water is boiling and that you leave it long enough to settle. Basically add a couple of spoons of filter coffee to the cup, pour on boiling water, stir and wait. Sometimes worth adding a few drops of cold water or gentle stir the surface to help it settle... just don't drink the dregs!

You didn't always mate, and I still use the coffee bags you introduced me to!

Hmmm.... coffee bag coffee with just a smidgeon of honey... nice.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
My mate's got an old 'vacuum coffee maker' it's a bloody genius device.

The water and coffee in the bottom chamber heats up and is forced by expansion through a narrow tube into the top chamber.

I would love to buy it off him to take out with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE