DD hammock suspension system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HelenG

Dec 26, 2016
Pembrokeshire, UK
Hey,
Does anybody know if you can use the DD hammock suspension system (whoopie slings and tree huggers) with other makes of hammock?
Cheers
H.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Yep - and there are videos on YouTube showing you how to. I might not be the only one to have found this, but I gave up on whoopie slings because they always slip a little - thermarest and exped both do really good systems too - the thermarest lazy suspension system is exactly that, and the exped one is as light as whoopies, more robust and does not slip (Heinnie Haynes sells both).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Never had whoopies slip myself, you do need to smooth it out with your fingers after adjusting to ensure it isn't slack and likely to slip....

Not sure why you reckon the exped system is more robust either ?

Last edited:

rsmith

Jul 15, 2010
Bristol
Never had whoopies slip myself, you do need to smooth it out with your fingers after adjusting to ensure it isn't slack and likely to slip....

Not sure why you reckon the exped system is more robust either ?

Hi, I find the slippage is in the locking part of the Amsteel loop (as you say you can straighten some of the slack out), with some elasticity in the actual cord on the whoopie slings. After @7 uses I also found shiny friction wear on the whoopee string.

On the exped system, it's rated up to 200kg as opposed to my whoopee being rated to @100kg. After similar use the exped system shows no wear. Plus if the exped inner loops break you can make do with other ones further in - not possible with whoopies. Exped also includes tree huggers in the £20 price and you don't need karabiners, maybe a little cheaper, and maybe a hair lighter (assuming karabiners). For me personally that's a better system.

The thermarest lazy system is even tougher, but heavier, bulkier and also slips a little I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE