Day out and trying out new tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Went out today to try out my new tarp, works great. On and off rain through out the day but all and all a nice day out :)

Ran out of water after making pasta so i boiled some river water and no signs of illness yet, wanted to see if the water was safe to drink so i thought why not give it ago! not the most sensible thing to do but thats just me :rolleyes:
I have also just ordered a 32 oz SS Nalgene Backpacker- any one got one and if so are they any good? :)

Photos from today:
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

Also had my first aid kit in my pocket :)
7.jpg

8.jpg

Camp cleared up and ready to leave...
9.jpg

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Nice mate. Looks like you had some fun.
Be careful what you drink though fella. Boiling will eliminate any pathogens, but it wont take out any harmful man made chemicals/ pollutants.
Saying that though, i wouldn't panic over 1 cup. UK rivers are cleaner than they have been for years

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thanks Barry, I wanted to try the water knowing that if i became ill i can get home easily rather than one day need the water in a certain situation and become ill in the wild :)

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Beenn

Brilliant pics and thank you for sharing.

Looks like a nice day out.

Looking at your pics, Im not sure Ive been on that piece of stream.

It looks like its in the bottom of the valley. If it is, I would be very wary of drinking it as the rubbish tips are on the top of the hills around you, and any leakage may make its way into the river at the bottom. This could contaminate the water with anything.

If it is the river at the bottom of the valley, it may have the run off from the roads in it too, which would include engine oil, etc...

Where the water runs down from the tops of the hills, any sheep that fall in it and get stuck can rot and dump all sorts of bacteria into the water too.

If I were to drink it, I would want to know that it hadnt run past the tip and would want to seriously filter it before boiling it as a minimum.

Have you considered hanging a pot from the back of your tarp to collect rainwater?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thanks Gary

I normally take plenty of water but today i only half filled the bottle for some reason and my 58 pattern water bottle has started to leak so i have ordered a new nalgene, i wouldnt drink the water by choice but i only drank a small amount and boiled it for longer than needed :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have seen the milbank bag used- looks nice and simple, may get one but for now i just carry plenty of water:)

The tarp kept the rain off and wind out - i did lower the top so it was on more of an angle which was better, i want to try other setups soon like a A frame shape, but off the ground :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice looking wood for a camp, thanks for sharing

About that first aid kit, what's the bag it's in, it looks good and strong ?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The gloves are not heat resistant, they are only used for cutting and clearing brambles ect.. I may carry a right handed leather glove for taking the pot out of the fire ect.. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE