Dartmoor 5 ! The Wrap Up Warm Tour !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Sometimes, like now, I read our threads and realise why more people don't join us on meets!

So just let me say to any newcomer to bushcraft, or old hand, who is reading this and wondering whether to come along to a meet - these are actually the most helpful, welcoming, peace-loving, sober-headed, generous people that anyone (male or female) could wish to spend a weekend with , and despite the daft comments and bravado, all are very respectful and appreciative of (and in their own different ways experienced in or knowledgeable on) the stunningly beautiful natural setting that we have the opportunity, many thanks to Ivan, to chill out in. All have skills and knowledge they are happy to share with the group - whether it is spoon carving, cooking on an open fire, knowledge of flora and fauna, telling a good story round the fire, local history, survival techniques or ...well the list goes on and on. All show equal respect for those who know about bushcraft and those who are beginners, and if you are a beginner, Ivan will talk you through routines, kit etc to make sure that you feel confident and well prepared.

I walked into a meet for my first weekend and walked out with information, advice, a full stomach, a stress-free head, a huge smile on my face, and a big bunch of new friends - all of whom I treasure.

So to all those who take a look at these threads and are tempted to have a go but haven't been quite sure - I strongly recommend that you do!

Lucy

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Understand what you're saying Lucy and wholeheartedly support everything you have said about the qualities of those that frequent Ivans patch of the wilds.

I've been online and member/moderator/admin etc of various forums, newsgroups and irc channels since 1996 and there has been now way I have found to overcome others perceptions of established groups of people. The only thing that can be done is ensure that when someone new jumps into a thread and posts, they are welcomed. I see that happen all the time including in this thread. There will always be more 'lurkers' than participants but to have this upcoming meet with 15 people attending, few of whom knew each other before the first meet... Many joining the throng in subsequent meets... I'd say is testament to the 'approachability' of us :)

Your post can only serve to reinforce that...

As Jim Morrison said to Wayne just before waynestock, "build it, they will come. "

:)

Sent via tapatalk from my shiny sgs2

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Lol.

I used to really stress about the perceptions of others. Then I realised that I can only take responsibility for what I say, it's the responsibility of others to decide what they wish to hear.

Seen plenty of online cliques, they ignore or belittle newcomers. Whereas we only belittle each other while welcoming newcomers :)

I'd hope anyone can see through the fake mockery and banter amongst those who come to these meets and find it to be to their liking.

If anyone was to find it truly offensive or off putting, they probably wouldn't get on anyways

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well ! Thanks Lucy and Jon , for the kind words, when i first started this Dartmoor Meet thing I did not know what to expect , but thought sod it have a go and if you don't like it , then you don't have to do it again.

I like to consider myself a man of the world ! but the foray into Bushcrafting/Wildcamping has opened up a whole new world to me ! I didn't realise that you could spend a weekend in the woods with a load of strangers from all over the country and have such a good time . All of the people that have ventured to my little corner of Dartmoor have been wonderful , i honestly thought i would at least have one or two idiots , spoilers , advantage takers etc etc , but not one ! And i would like to think that all that have attended have had a good time and gone home feeling a little tired and dirty smelling of smoke , but also refreshed with a little warm glow and when they think of their time here it brings a smile to their face .

So anyway to some it may seem we don't take Bushcraft seriously and we just have a laugh , I can tell you we do a lot of both . So to any lurkers as Jon calls them , if at any time you want to come and see what we are talking about , just send me a PM , I will do my best to answer any questions you may have .

You don't even have to attend a meet , if you just want to have a day visit /guided tour , or camp alone etc you can .
No names , but i have a dear friend of mine that used the site alone , and when i said you ought to come to a meet , he said no thanks , not for me all those people etc , anyway he tried one and said he had never laughed so much in his life ! and also learned a lot , and now he doesn't miss one !

I will finish now because i am rattling on , but suffice to say there will be a number of meets throughout 2012 , and you would be very welcome to come along and enjoy .

By the way this is in no way touting for business, honestly i just want to share it with as many as possible . The fees don't even cover the costs ! But I LOVE IT , and so will you , i am of course biased , just PM one of the attendees , i am sure they will be honest .

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sorry ! Just a foot note , i have enough room 12 acres of beautiful woodland , open spaces , and little corners to tuck yourself away , if you like peace and quiet and privacy . And if you open the gate from my site it leads directly on to 368 square miles of unspoilt natural rugged beauty . So if you only want to use it as a base for exploring Dartmoor you can . You don't have to be a chef or Bushcraft expert or lift a finger , to come and experience a relaxing chilled out time away from brown envelope land ...

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I wouldn't disagree with the description of natural rugged beauty... But no way is there 368 square miles of you Ivan.....

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Personally, I find the thought of taking bushcraft seriously off putting, it's that (mis) perception of other meets I see organised that have stopped me from going to many others.

The description you first gave for your first meet of being able to camp close or far away, to join in or to do your own thing made that first venture to your sunny shores enticing. Spoke to my wife about it and we both agreed, "if they're all snooty and twee or 'the Ray way or no way' bushcraft snobs with hunter wellies and thousand pound knives handcrafted on the thighs of Sammi virgins, we can just bugger off for a walk" and to be honest, we did keep a little distant first time 'just in case'.....

But then we had 'the spoon & bushcraft assault course' with everyone in hysteria and we realised that week end the same as you described above, normal (sort of!) people with no expectations of others other than to all enjoy the wilds and have a bit of wholesome fun at the same time

As for Lucy's comment about sober... I see our evening campfire chats and a drink as the normal thing humans do after dark... Its only artificial lighting that allows us to do anything else

Though if anyone does start a round of singing kumbiya (sp?) I'm offski to the moors ne'er to be seen again! ;)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
PS, sorry if I've offended any Ray way or no way peeps. I have all his books and have found many of his tv shows interesting. I also like BG and lofty wiseman, mykel hawke, les
Stroud and several zombie apocalypse forums. I also go to festivals and when travelling overseas, live as the Romans do.

What I mean is, lots of different schools.... none and all of which are right.

Sadly some, like those watchtower door to door salespeople, can't help but push their views forsaking any others.

I'm too opinionated to suffer people like that :p

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
And just in case my rambling posts above makes anyone think I'm a fruit loop.... Just to prove I'm not, I have a "Got to dance" addiction too and will go soon because it's a double episode on Sky1 in 45mins :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
My Dear Jon , as you well know you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time , when i understand what the heck you are talking about ! it makes perfect sense.

Those that come , come and those that don't don't , you know it doesn't matter , we have a great bunch of regulars that come down here for a great weekend of fun , whether it be carving a spoon , doing an assault course , cooking,drinking ,eating , walking , joining in with fireside banter or just chilling , I think the original point Lucy was trying to get across was that , some of our posts go a little off topic and at times even seem insane .

But until you try it you won't know if you like it ! and i can safely say those that have , come again and again .

I said on another thread , that if i offered travelling expenses etc some out there would still find an excuse not to come . Some members talk a good Bushcraft and judging by the amount of time spent on the PC , makes you wonder how they find the time to get out there and do it ,regardless of where the meet is ! With 20,000 odd members there are going to be a percentage of keyboard warriors , thats life .

Ivan...

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Cough Cough, did someone say a LITTLE off topic :confused: :lmao: :p

Well i'm still planning on being there this time.

Ivan, what sort of time can we get there from on Friday. :You_Rock_

Phill

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I have been accused of having a knack for derailing threads...

Can't believe it myself!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Phill, there will be 3 or 4 of us up at the site from Wednesday 11th January , so in answer to your question , any time that suits you sir , obviously best if you can get there while its light to select a suitable spot , get set up and have a little wander ..

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Jon, you don't de rail the thread, you just play with the points and send it off on a completely different track mate :)

Thanks Ivan, will probably be there early afternoon, does that mean I will be early enough to hear Jon do all that fancy CQ CQ babble as he arrives.

I can do off topic really well. Just ask Ivan :D.

But seriously, it's a beautiful part of England, the people are fantastic (even the strangers I haven't met yet), the food is awesome (especially when Paul or Al cook it :p), there really is something for everyone, as it's on the edge of the moors, so if you want to walk to the pub, or go shopping in town, it's easily doable. Even though we rarely organise lessons/demonstrations/etc, if there is anything you want to know/be shown/have a go at/talk about/etc, then there is always someone there that can help.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Wouldn't that require really heavy equipment that doesn't work so everyone defaults to a mobile phone? ;)

Re mindless banter distracting from the topic of the thread, I have a plan for that! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE