Cured smoked beef...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Sorry missed the question about salt petre, no there is no need for saltpetre as mentioned previoiously there are advantages by using it as some say it can reduce the chances of botulism. However this is an old recipe used during the war when saltpetre was in short supply. I was always taught that the air curing is essential not just anothe phase of the process. I have done plenty of these and gammons in the same way and all really good, with the exception of a few salty ones.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
.... this is an old recipe used during the war when saltpetre was in short supply. I was always taught that the air curing is essential not just anothe phase of the process.
I love wartime recipes :) The home front fascinates me and my favorite tales from my old folks are of the thrift, balanced with a pride, taste and satisfaction of growing, collecting and processing as part of the drive behind their menfolk. I've never added an air dry but definately will on something now- I read a sausage making book recently, lots of the recipes called for a fairly long hanging period :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE