Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i gave up on the green heat but i mostly brew up on exposed beaches found it really hard to light in the cold/wind when i used it in the woods it was fine. Tend to use pine blocks now on the beach and have to use a turbo flame to get them to light but once going they boil up good. I gave up on my crusader cooker (to be fair its the webtex warrior version not so sure of the differences) and prefer the swiss volcano stove as its alot more versatile in my opinion

Again, I agree, the Swiss volcano cooker is more versatilem, but it with water, it is at least twice the size of the whole Crusader setup.

IMO - the fact that that the crusader cannot perform satisfactorily outside of the gel/esbit scenario - needing mods (which i have carried out but am am not a fan of) to cook on a meths burner is the reason i have relegated it to my "not in use " shelf. Apart from fitting a 58 pattern mug its just a dish with a handle. Pants. Just my opinion, but one im sticking to.

That's the point though, it doesn't have to perform with burners as it just adds unneccesary bulk. I was just testing them in it as someone here asked me to. If using the Whitebox, I'd leave the pan at home and just take the cup and water bottle. It's biggest feature for me is the compact size, which is hardly bigger than a 58 pattern water bottle, including fuel sachets. That is a huge bonus for me when not carrying a rucksack. I can't think of any other system that is compact enough for my shoulder bag on solo walks. I certainly wouldn't take a burner with me in my shoulder bag, it means carrying the burner and meths, which means extra bulk, which means my rucksack, which totally defeats the object.

Last edited:

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
I make my own solid fuel, I use food grade wax and cotton balls to make them, get a good burn time, I use it for my Crusader setup (tip: don't clean out the resin after use)

2whqzcj.jpg

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
great reviews, i agree you wont find better for its size.
i also carry a respirator bag with the crusader setup but i also carry my honey stove,probably not the most efficient stove on the market but takes up no room and gives either option without the need of a rucksack
cheers ash

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
It is a fraction of the size and weight, both chief reasons for the Crusader product not quite being the big hit it was expected to be.

I would urge you to use the Esbit offering before passing comment, it's performance improves with some form of windshield but of course the same is true for any fire.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It is a fraction of the size and weight, both chief reasons for the Crusader product not quite being the big hit it was expected to be.

I would urge you to use the Esbit offering before passing comment, it's performance improves with some form of windshield but of course the same is true for any fire.

I do have one, but it is clearly bigger. There is no water bottle in the package for a start, which you are not counting. The Esbit stove is superb and certainly beats the Crusader on performance hands down, but once you add a water bottle into the equation, the whole kit is much bigger than the whole Crusader system (inc bottle) and doesn't fit into my bag.

I'll do a comparison on burn times of both later in the week and put up a seperate Esbit thread.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi Jonathan, good review.Im a fan of esbit which i use in my Crusader setup and it would be interesting to see the comparisons.
I also use the Greenheat in a small squeezy bottle and squeeze a dab on to the esbit,burns quite well,but dont use the greenheat on its own.

Darren

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
I use the Crusader - its small and neat. I use it with hexi (not tried green heat) - but I prefer to use it with meths. I use a177 air rifle pellet tin with a circle of fibre glass rope in it (the sort of stuff used to seal the door on a woodburning/multi fuel stove). It fits really well in to the well in the base unit. Also use the tin for hexi - reduces mess in the base unit + can be snuffed.
Pour a measure of meths into the tin, light, works well. Use the tin lid as a snuffer.
I'm going to try the new green heat though.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I use a crusader cup in spring/summer if I go minimal kit. I find it bulletproof kit that stands up to a lot plus the option of hexi, green heat or a redbull penny stove is good. I made an ali lid for mine and it helps. You can get a brew on or some porridge when you're still in your sleeping bag first thing or heat a rat pack. It holds a massive cup of tea or coffee and that's what I need some mornings!

I don't like them in winter though. Another con is the lack of being able to cook properly with it but it's not designed for that.

The new greenheat that actually works looks interesting, I'll have to try some. Thanks for the review Jon. Btw, I like the avatar/trench art on your crusader! Nice touch there...

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I think they are great, used one yesterday, and on saturday even lit it without matches!!

photo.jpg

Yesterday we even used it over the fire, word of warning.....heatprotecting gloves might be useful!

CrusaderFire.jpg

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Excellent review, JonathanD.

Probably wouldn't have looked at it had I not seen one of these in action, for the first time, on Saturday.

Impressive piece of kit.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I love the crusader and have no problems cooking in it. Chorizo & rice, simple stews, pretty much anything goes as long as you have a tidy wooden spatual and don't let it burn. It's a bugger trying to get backed on rice out of the bottom of it. There again I've fat ands and can't get into the corners!

All in all one of my favourite bits of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE