Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thought I'd start a new thread for this, just in case folks search in future. I plan to include the meths burners (Trangia and Whitebox) and Esbit/Hexi in update posts in this thread. So far I've just managed to test the new Greenheat sachets....

Didn't have enough time to test out the meths stoves with the Crusader today, as I had a load of other equipment to carry around with me and didn't really have the time because I got sidetracked making casts of badger/fox and otter tracks, but I did test it out in a windswept and frozen area to give it a decent work out. (added burner reviews in post #11)

First up, I cooked myself some chunky chicken and vegetable soup with the Greenheat stuff. This is the newer formula. Like a few on here I add the sachet as soon as the stuff is alight as I find the burn time does increase like that, and it gets rid of the waste very well. Greenheat is very eco friendly and is safe and odour free when cooking. It also doesn't leave any residue on your cups...

28Jan201112.jpg

It took five minutes from light up for it to start boiling without a lid. Mainly due to the viscosity of the soup no doubt. And as you can see from the time indent, it is still burning 11 minutes later. In these temperatures where there are frozen puddles and frost on the ground, as well as biting wind, I found that quite impressive....

28Jan201116.jpg

All good, so I tested it with just cold water at the 500ml fill point as I wanted to test boil times. The water was straight from the river and icy cold. I got a full rolling boil in 8mins 33 seconds and it continued on a rolling boil for a good four/five minutes. This was on a fallen tree exposed to crosswinds and without a lid. I think that is pretty impressive and on a par with my Trangia and Whitebox stoves easily...

28Jan201124.jpg

28Jan201125.jpg

I will test it out with the two meths stoves, but to be honest, why carry around an extra burner and meths when you can fit four sachets Greenheat in the base of the cooker and loads more in your pack if need be without that extra bulk and weight that a meths bottle and burner wil create.

My preferred light weight carry system (especially in Summer) is a small, lightweight shoulder bag. The Crusader cooker takes up hardly much more room than the bottle alone, which is obviously necessary carry on extended bimbles anyway. The compact size means I can still fit loads of things in there, such as food; compass; tissues; brews; spoon; DC4; FAK and the tools of my trade and still have hot food and a brew if I want. You also have the ability to boil river/stream water or snow if you empty your main bottle.

28Jan2011.jpg

28Jan20112.jpg

28Jan20113.jpg

All in all, due to the compact size, it will allow me to leave my rucksack at home a lot more. I like my Swedish Army Cooker or my Bush Buddy/Titanium billy combo, but these two cook sets will never fit in my shoulder bag. So for solo meanderings and days out in the Summer doing my survey work in the field. The Crusader Cooker will be with me.

I also bought one of launditch1's superb custom lids in aluminium (he also does it in stainless steel). Well built, thick bombproof aluminium. It drastically reduces the boil time and is light and slim enough to go in a pocket in my bag. A must addition if you want to boil greater amounts of liquid for a longer period (especially with rat pack bags).

DSC09717.jpg

DSC09712.jpg

CONTINUED IN POST #11

Last edited:
May 24, 2010
hampshire
nice review, i have the crusader set and also the hexi burners and a trangia, i have to agree that for a personal cook system thats light and functional its fantastic, my only issue with it is cost of the green stuff, for me the trangia with meths is best pound for pound BUT not as safe i.e if the burner gets knocked over its a fireball (i know from experience lol)

for more than a 1 night stay it would have to be the trangia, as its more versatile for use over a fire
for a day out walking or an addition to my grab bag the crusader is my prefered choice

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Good review Jonathan.

I've had one of these for years, but to be honest considered it heavy for what it was. Other than a few turns with a home made photon (where it did ok ) I've not used it much.
Part of the problem ( for me anyway) was the green snot which was absolute garbage and only any use as a backup fire lighter in the survival kit.

The fact that you can get an improved version is interesting and I will have to get a hold of some.

Back to the cooker..
I do agree it it does nest well with the cup and bottle and the general shape of the set does make for easy packing.
I might have to dig it out and give it another chance.

atb
Chris

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I agree, for anything more than a day/night out when I'm taking a bigger ruck, I'll take my billy/Bush buddy set or my Swedish Army Trangia just for the extra options.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
How many sachets did u use to make ur soup mate , I've got loads of the green heat gel and I've never tried it , i thought it would have left an awfy mess ... cheers for that may give give them a wee go ...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right, managed to get out today and had spare time while I was waiting for the otter print casts to dry, so here it is...

Testing this time took place with a Whitebox type stove and a civvy Trangia burner:

29Jan201117.jpg

The weather wasn't as cold or windy as yesterday, so these two options had a little less work than the Greenheat sachets. Both burners were tested with 500ml of cold water from bloom to rolling boil.

First up was the Whitebox.

29Jan20119-1.jpg

A fierce little burner and my favourite. This one was made by Andy T, but to all intents and purposes it is exactly the same as the commercially available model.

29Jan201110-1.jpg

Now it sits quite high in the Crusader cooker, so you can't use the bail arm here. It does get quite a bit of protection from the wind and took just over a minute to fully bloom:

29Jan201111-1.jpg

The cup sat on it a little higher than it usually does with the bail arm, so I was interested to see if the wind had a greater adverse effect, even though it was not as windy as on the previous test. So, cup on...

29Jan201112-1.jpg

29Jan201113-1.jpg

All in, it took 9 minutes to reach a rolling boil, the time indents are a great help on these pics...

29Jan201114-1.jpg

These tests were without a lid of any kind remember, and a full on rolling boil was the time I recorded. Due to the fierce nature of the Whitebox, I was surprised it took this long compared to the Greenheat, although the flame was not fully protected by the cooker as the Greenheat flame was, so some heat loss must have occurred.

Next up, the Trangia burner...

29Jan201115.jpg

It fits snugly i the base, but the bail arm height is only 5mm above it. These means that some modification would have to take place, as I doubted there would be enough clearance for the flames to have a full effect on the cup. It took ages to bloom as it was high into the wind. I got so fed up of waiting, I went on a little walk.

29Jan201116.jpg

The low clearance meant that the full power was impossible to attain. In the end I gave up.

So to summarise. The Greenheat exceeded my expectations after hearing some reviews, and the small amount of space (if any when stored in the cooker base) it takes up wins it for me. The Whitebox is a great alternative as it is small and light, but then the bottle of meths has to be carried as well, and the payoff to that means that I had to take this today, rather than my shoulder bag...

24Oct201065.jpg

As I've said before, the compact size of the Crusader is the winning feature for me. My Swedish Army Trangia has more options, but it takes up much more room, and is heavy, and this is without the water bottle included...

DSC09190.jpg

Te Bush Buddy/Billy can option is light and gives me all kinds of burning options with the Whitebox added inside, but again, this combination, although small and light, means I have to add a cup, meths and still doesn't include the water bottle...

DSC08245.jpg

In my opinion, the Crusader system is a must addition to anyone's arsenal of kit as it goes with the bushcrafting ethos of carrying less.

29Jan20118-1.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i gave up on the green heat but i mostly brew up on exposed beaches found it really hard to light in the cold/wind when i used it in the woods it was fine. Tend to use pine blocks now on the beach and have to use a turbo flame to get them to light but once going they boil up good. I gave up on my crusader cooker (to be fair its the webtex warrior version not so sure of the differences) and prefer the swiss volcano stove as its alot more versatile in my opinion

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
IMO - the fact that that the crusader cannot perform satisfactorily outside of the gel/esbit scenario - needing mods (which i have carried out but am am not a fan of) to cook on a meths burner is the reason i have relegated it to my "not in use " shelf. Apart from fitting a 58 pattern mug its just a dish with a handle. Pants. Just my opinion, but one im sticking to.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought - as I'm a fan of the SAT, Swiss volcano and Crusader set-ups - but maybe a small meths penny-stove or similar might be the answer? They tend to be lower than a Trangia burner, so might have a better chance to work effectively?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i did ok with it by just filling the well with meths and lighting it but i l dont carry mine anymore its in the car boot for a back up brew kit for reasons in my last post

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
One vote for the crusader here. I like the compactnes?? of it an that i can fit all the bits and bobs for a brew it the bag that it came with, including an off the shelf meths burner and fuel bottle (a little panda pop one). I also carry a couple of bits of wire just to elevate the cup when using the meths burner so that it can work properly. Great for out and about for a wander or at a push maybe two people. Managed to do a big pot of pasta on it today for 4 but did take an extra billy to cook in. Worked very well though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE