Crib Goch on Snowdon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Piledriver

Mar 24, 2024
Liverpool
Hi all, I'm in the UK for 3 weeks in May (Im a Scouser residing in New Zealand), watched a few You Tube vids on this aŕete and would like to give it a bash......anyone done it and has some do's n don'ts?......anyone bottled it and turned around?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve probably traversed Crib Goch 30 times and have been involved in quite a few rescues on it (as a member of an MRT). It’s best to approach from Pen-y-Pass and do the horseshoe anti clockwise so the harder bits are completed first. You’ll need a good head for heights as there is some exposure and wait for a dry, clear day with light winds - it’s not the place to be in high winds. You’ll need some scrambling experience ideally, some bits are probably grade 2 with serious consequence if you fall off (there are usually a few fatalities each year). If you haven’t got it I’d recommend hiring a mountaineering instructor for the day, they’ll give you a really good day out and ensure you complete the route safely.

Piledriver

Mar 24, 2024
Liverpool
I’ve probably traversed Crib Goch 30 times and have been involved in quite a few rescues on it (as a member of an MRT). It’s best to approach from Pen-y-Pass and do the horseshoe anti clockwise so the harder bits are completed first. You’ll need a good head for heights as there is some exposure and wait for a dry, clear day with light winds - it’s not the place to be in high winds. You’ll need some scrambling experience ideally, some bits are probably grade 2 with serious consequence if you fall off (there are usually a few fatalities each year). If you haven’t got it I’d recommend hiring a mountaineering instructor for the day, they’ll give you a really good day out and ensure you complete the route safely.
Big thanks, I'll see what the weather window is like when I'm there

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Excellent advice! - when I worked as an Outdoor Skills Instructor in Snowdonia I used to lead walks around the Horseshoe on a regular basis: some clients needed to be roped up for some of the more interesting bits...
The right clothing , boots and experience are essential for a safe crossing but on good days you may need patience as well as these days tail-backs of visitors can occur. An early start is a good idea :)
It is a great bit of mountain though and worth the effort!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
@Limaed great advice! Some years ago, I and a good friend decided on a spur-of-the-moment night time ascent to Snowdon via Crib Goch. We are both very experienced in that environment, both being WML with big log books. Seemed a nice challenge but do-able. We planned to camp somewhere just off the summit and decent via the usual routes come the morning......

Tut tut.... experienced as we were, we underestimated the strength of the wind once up there (over-confident complacency). I was leading, and a sudden gust took me off my feet and tossed me off the edge. My very good friend (we were roped) threw himself to the right and arrested my tumble.

Once we got ourselves together, we politely decided that we should decend and bale out. Upon discussion over breakfast in a greasy spoon the next morning, we laughed away our embarrassment over egg and bacon and planned a daylight raid for the future. Which still hasn't happened.....

'Adventure is found where the path ends......' or something like that....

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have only one experience of Crib Goch. Even guided it’s a dizzying hike - exhilarating but exposed. I have many many experiences of festering in that greasy spoon (trying to remember its name) in Llanrwst.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
@Limaed great advice! Some years ago, I and a good friend decided on a spur-of-the-moment night time ascent to Snowdon via Crib Goch. We are both very experienced in that environment, both being WML with big log books. Seemed a nice challenge but do-able. We planned to camp somewhere just off the summit and decent via the usual routes come the morning......

Tut tut.... experienced as we were, we underestimated the strength of the wind once up there (over-confident complacency). I was leading, and a sudden gust took me off my feet and tossed me off the edge. My very good friend (we were roped) threw himself to the right and arrested my tumble.

Once we got ourselves together, we politely decided that we should decend and bale out. Upon discussion over breakfast in a greasy spoon the next morning, we laughed away our embarrassment over egg and bacon and planned a daylight raid for the future. Which still hasn't happened.....

Thanks for sharing, that’s a good story. I was on the Aonach Eagach last month doing some CPD with a Mountaineering Instructor, plenty of places to fall off there too! I don’t think I’ve met many folk who had to jump to stop their oppo falling - your friend had a great presence of mind.

Piledriver

Mar 24, 2024
Liverpool

Wow mate, that was a dicey one, thanks for sharing

Piledriver

Mar 24, 2024
Liverpool
I have only one experience of Crib Goch. Even guided it’s a dizzying hike - exhilarating but exposed. I have many many experiences of festering in that greasy spoon (trying to remember its name) in Llanrwst.
Cheers mate, the more I learn from others experiences, the better mentally I will be prepared...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE