Cotton ball/Vaseline technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

flounder_al

Oct 5, 2013
Morayshire
Just tried out the cotton ball and Vaseline fire lighting technique. Have to say I am mightily impressed with how quickly they catch when using a magnesium fire stick. Certainly a good back up to have whilst I refine my 'natural' tinder techniques.

Sorry if this is old news to people but i'm new to all this and easily impressed :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
All of us began at the same level; it is impressive isn't it?

If you get into fire lighting then it is an endless journey of discovery.

Nice one :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All of us began at the same level; it is impressive isn't it?

If you get into fire lighting then it is an endless journey of discovery.

Nice one :)

You know... thinking about it using vaseline and cotton wool with a ferro rod is something I've never tried.

Just never seen the need as I've used natural tinders with one, flint and steel or a lighter for all my firelighting.

Me think's I might go have a play sometime soon :)

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Some one on here mentioned home make firelighter made from makeup pads, candle wax and vasoline, i tried them and the burn for ages alos theres no overpowering smell like normal firelighers use them all the time now even at home for starting the fire and bbq

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
How are vaseline balls made, simply melt some vaseline and dunk the balls? Or is there more technique to it?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Try getting some of the big plastic straws from coffee shops and stuffing them with cotton wool/vasaline.
Melt the ends shut, you have waterproof storage that can be cut to length for storage in kits.
Cut it open and spark it.
The plastic straw burns hot too as an extra bonus.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you have too much Vaseline, it actually makes them more difficult to light - you need the fine fibres to catch the spark so just squidging it in with fingers is more effective than soaking them

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You know... thinking about it using vaseline and cotton wool with a ferro rod is something I've never tried.

Just never seen the need as I've used natural tinders with one, flint and steel or a lighter for all my firelighting.

Me think's I might go have a play sometime soon :)

Easily the bestest fun you can have with your clothes on-actually,"clothes on" is highly advisable when playing with firesteels-(don't ask!:eek:)
[video=youtube;xnMrQuV3UJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMrQuV3UJ0[/video]

If I'm out and about, particularly canoeing but almost any time "out in the cuds" I carry cotton wool soaked in petroleum jelly as my back up.

cheers and enjoy!:)

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE