cooking venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Hi I have just been given a shoulder joint of venison and I am after the best way to cook it.

Any recipes ?

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Brainflex

I'm very fond of it just plain roasted with a pepper herb crust. Depending on how much fat is on the roast you might have to add a little to keep the meat from drying out.

make up a paste of crushed garlic, salt, olive oil, black pepper and whatever herbs take your fancy. i'm very fond of tarragon with venison.

Rub a little olive oil over the joint and then cover with the herb paste, rubbing it well in.
you should end up with a coating a few mm thick pretty much all over. If you need to add fat then cover the top of the joint with a couple of strips of fatty bacon.

Put it in a hot oven on the top shelf and give it 20 mins to half an hour at high heat (around 220). then turn the heat down to around 180 and give it about another hour to an hour and a half depending on the weight of the joint and how rare you like it. check a couple of times and baste the meat in the juices that come off it.

i like it when the juices still run slightly pink - it will be a little rare in the middle but not ******.

if you use bacon take it off for the last ten minutes and brown off the crust with a slightly higher heat.

Let it rest out of the oven for about 20 mins and then enjoy.

George

PS had one of these yesterday - excellent.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've got a recipe book from the BDS (British deer Society) that gives loads of suggestions for cooking venison.It also gives ideas for veggies to go with it, red cabbage and apple or orange for example. I've actually just spent a couple of hours skinning, jointing, boning and mincing a Muntjac today.

I've boned the back legs, we're going to put some stuffing in them, roll them up and roast it. I saved some fat to put over the joints as they cook but I'll also use bacon rashers just like doing a turkey.

The sholder isn't really big enough to do much with on a muntjac so I cut all the meat off, minced it up and will make burgers out of it later in the week.

What ever you do - enjoy

Cheers

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just plain roast if you ask me, and as the perfect veggie to go with it red cabbage cooked in balsamic vinegar, shout if you want the recipie,
Cheers
David

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Brainflex said:
Hi I have just been given a shoulder joint of venison and I am after the best way to cook it.

Any recipes ?

The best advice I ever had was to treat venison just like a joint of lamb.

Use a sharp pointed, narrow-bladed knife. Pierce the shoulder all over and insert fresh rosemary leaves, 'chips' of garlic (individual cloves, sliced into chips) and bits of anchovy fillets (trust me on this) into each hole. Use something blunt, like the end of a chopstick, to stuff these items into the pierced holes. It's really worth spending some time on this.
Paint the joint with some olive oil, sprinkle with some fresh ground pepper and salt and roast as you would lamb (15-20 mins/lb at 170 degrees C).
Make a good, rich gravy with the juices in the roasting tin, plus a glass of red wine and a heaped tablespoon of redcurrant/rowan/sloe/damson jelly.
Serve with the usual trimmings: roast spud, snips, sweet potato and whatever green veg takes your fancy (try steamed broccoli with walnuts or pecans, tossed in a little white truffle olive oil).

We'll be having this tomorrow night when friends come round to celebrate New Year's Eve. It is really good. I promise!

Burnt Ash

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We had the venison today. Very nice and the red cabbage was a really good accompanyment(sp).

That's definately one we'll be trying again.

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE