Conserve.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
I am planning on spending a whole year in the wild Sweden next year (I would spend the cold months down south and near a village for obvious safety reasons)
Foodwise, winter might show a bit... lethal, so I was thinking, is it possible to forage lots of food during spring and summer and make conserves in the wild?
Obviously carrying conserves around would be silly so could I buy some jars from a village (because I will carry my debit card around :) ) and make some conserves and potentially burry them?

If it is even possible any tip on how to cure food (fish/berries/shrooms) and seal a jar in the wild?

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've kept homemade pasta sauce in a jar for several months. I heated the jar with boiling water and put the sauce in when it was boiling, right to the top. You don't need any special equipment, so I guess you could do it anywhere. The bigger problem would be finding something to put in it! Foraging/ fishing won't turn up much food at all unless you've got a lot of practise in and know what to look for. I'd imagine that by far the majority of the available calories in wild food there are in meat and fish, and you'll want to research your options for legally getting meat and fish. If it was me I'd be looking at the legality of nets, speedhooks, yoyo reels, and using air rifles on rabbits and pigeons (if they have them!) because I don't think I could feed myself otherwise.

I've done homemade beef jerky, and you need to make sure you don't cook it, so keep the temperature down. There are plenty of recipes about. Outdoors you'll need to keep things smoky enough to keep the flies off. I've not looked at doing fish, but it would be similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE