Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Interesting, I thought the needle always pointed Magnetic north....

Nope. The needle aligns itself with the local magnetic field, so depending on where you are in the world depends on where it points, sometimes towards magnetic north, sometimes nowhere near it.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Nope. The needle aligns itself with the local magnetic field, so depending on where you are in the world depends on where it points, sometimes towards magnetic north, sometimes nowhere near it.

But there is magnetic deviation as well magnetic variation, so unless you know the magnetic deviation you cannot use the compass accurately, "Magnetic north" is possibly the North point of the magnetic field you are stood in at the time...hence it is pointing "Magnetic North" not necessarily global magnetic north...:)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
But there is magnetic deviation as well magnetic variation, so unless you know the magnetic deviation you cannot use the compass accurately, "Magnetic north" is possibly the North point of the magnetic field you are stood in at the time...hence it is pointing "Magnetic North" not necessarily global magnetic north...:)

Slight confusion over terminology on my part :)

This conversation will have served to either clarify or confuse the situation for others :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Interesting, I thought the needle always pointed Magnetic north, and the bezel was what made it accurate, the bezels are mass produced by the same makers so maybe the degrees are inaccurate as well ;)... Both are of course only as good as the person using them.:rolleyes:

OK then, the bezel on a compass marked with 6400 mils is accurate to 25 mils.

The bezel on a compass marked with 360 degrees is accurate to 1 degree.

So which one is more accurate?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
$T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfSeyBRTD!yQ8Gw~~60_1.JPG

Even then it isn't brilliant, but as also mentioned it is very accurate for Artillery fire...1mil being 1 metre at 1Kilometre, so fine adjustments on the traversing and elevation gear on an artillery piece can be called in mills rather than 1/17.8th of a degree...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting, I thought the needle always pointed Magnetic north, and the bezel was what made it accurate, the bezels are mass produced by the same makers so maybe the degrees are inaccurate as well ;)... Both are of course only as good as the person using them.:rolleyes:

Some compasses (my Silva for example) have an adjustment screw so that you can align the needle to point to true north. But you have to reset it if you move to an area with a different variation.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Some compasses (my Silva for example) have an adjustment screw so that you can align the needle to point to true north.

So you can deviate the magnetic field to swing your needle to true North... or you can change the needle to take into account of the Magnetic variation, or both? So how does it actually work on altering the magnetic field of the needle?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So you can deviate the magnetic field to swing your needle to true North... or you can change the needle to take into account of the Magnetic variation, or both? So how does it actually work on altering the magnetic field of the needle?

There's an induction dampening field inside the bezel. IIRC, when you turn the variation adjustment screww, it moves said field slightly so that the needle swings correspondingly. I'll have a look at the compass a bit later to verify and try to get back here.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The most common adjustment system for magnetic variation is that the compass capsule has a mechanism which allows the capsule to rotate independently of the baseplate and bezel, so that after adjustment the needle points to magnetic north, but the baseplate and bezel align with grid/true north.

Alan.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Surely the instructions would be on the makers website?

They're actually on the small instruction sheet that comes with the compass. But my compass (and said instruction sheet) are out in the truck and at the moment I'm watching the Saints vs Seahawks in the second level playoffs leading to the Superbowl.

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I have the Silva exped 4 and the Suunto M3. The only thing I've read that puts the Suunto ahead of the Silva is that the bezel is a bit easier to use with gloves. I use the Silva.

The Recta DP420 is the same as the Suunto M3, sometimes it's cheaper.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I don't know what model my Silva is but it's a good un, has the 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 grid measuring scale, handy for the old micro nav requirements so dearly loved of us whiteout wanderers, handy for quick accurate map references too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE