Compass Apps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm on pick and mix phones, windows and android but they all seem to need figure of eight configuration. Smart compass and Compass PRO seem fine on android. Always have some sort of 'real' compass with you, never hurts to do a cross check, in fact make it standard practise.

I love map and compass but I'll be honest the GPS on my S2 and HD7 is spot on and pins me far more accurately than a map will, down and about here certainly to around 10 or 15 metres...that said, still check your GPS to a map (disclaimer there, I'm sure you do so OP so no offence meant).

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I've had the same problem - they never really seem to deliver, do they? They take ages to calibrate, and even then quite often seem to point in what I know is the wrong direction.
Like you, I can use a map and compass, but sometimes I just fancy finding a quick grid ref for where I am and don't have all the 'proper' gubbins with me. If I'm out with the dogs, or running familiar ground, for instance. I find it interesting, that's all, and wish I could get a reliable app for my i-phone that'll tell me where I am (grid ref wise), or whatever.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have Ulysse Gizmos. I did have to change my phone cover for one without a magnetic clip though before I could make it work. Doh!

Z

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've been fiddling around with ViewRanger, which is a really great GPS app.
There is an option under the settings to show the compass on the screen. Im not sure how accurate it is down to a degree, but it seems to work ok, from what I've seen of it so far. Certainly as well as my Garmin compass did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE