Collapsible wood/hobo stove designs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Does anyone know of any collapsible wood/hobo stove designs I can make, I've made one, but it's bulky and I'd like a collapsible one to be very small in my bag.

Aug 1, 2012
Lancashire
Have a look at the "Pocket Stove" from BackpackingLight. It's like a smaller version of the Honey Stove, and is four metal sides and a plate that fit together. Disassembled it fits in a small tin. It shouldn't be too hard to make something similar that slots together, yet is quite small.

Nick

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Made from Aldi's powdered milk can with a sweetcorn tin inside the holes are made with a church key / old fashioned bottle opener and the top is sealed using fire cement. can never figure out how to insert a image, the idea is based on the bushbuddy.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
i think making a collapsible stove requires metal working skills and equipment. OK if you have them, impossible without. I don't have the equipment so would go with a hobo stove, then select my cook pot, drink cup and food dish and other paraphemalia to fit inside the hobo stove. What i catuslly do is build around my cook pot (about 1 litre) and fit my alcohol stove, mug etc inside the pot. I have different kits for days out, overnight solo and twin etc. Typical hobo stoves are no bigger, or littkle bigger than my cook pot, so the nesting rational would, IMO, work. Yopu have to have a pot, and it is not collapsible, so that should determine the outside dimensions of your cook kit. One of my objections to wood burning kits is that they tend to be dirty and it is difficult to keep everything clean. About the only solution is to purchase a Honey stove or similar, then ones budget soars. As someone else stated, ZEN stoves has all sorts ofd designs for a metalworker

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
i think making a collapsible stove requires metal working skills and equipment. OK if you have them, impossible without. I don't have the equipment so would go with a hobo stove, then select my cook pot, drink cup and food dish and other paraphemalia to fit inside the hobo stove. What i catuslly do is build around my cook pot (about 1 litre) and fit my alcohol stove, mug etc inside the pot. I have different kits for days out, overnight solo and twin etc. Typical hobo stoves are no bigger, or littkle bigger than my cook pot, so the nesting rational would, IMO, work. Yopu have to have a pot, and it is not collapsible, so that should determine the outside dimensions of your cook kit. One of my objections to wood burning kits is that they tend to be dirty and it is difficult to keep everything clean. About the only solution is to purchase a Honey stove or similar, then ones budget soars. As someone else stated, ZEN stoves has all sorts ofd designs for a metalworker

Well my current wood stove is pretty good, I like it alot, but I'd really love it if it was collapsible. So I'm still trying to find a collapsible design for one, this time I'll make it in stainless 316. How good are Hexiamine blocks as a second choice if the rain was really heavy and there was no dry fuel for the wood stove?

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi there,if you search for"homemade flatpack stove" you will find one that i made a while back,i could help you with the templates if you want.

I also made a small fire box once that might fit the bill.

steve

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Look for "homemade raised fire box"hope this helps.I could help with the welding if you dont have access to tig gear.
steve

Papa Tac

Jul 13, 2012
Codroy Valley, NL, Canada
Metal shears, a drill, file and pliers should be all you need to whip up one of
Emberlit, Nimblewill Nomad, Pocket Stove or Qiwiz (Use the Google, young Skywalker).
Use an old cookie sheet, steel waste bucket, or any lightweight steel.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE