cold feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
O.K. folks how do you keep your feet warm when sitting around the campfire at night on wet ground in sub-zero temperatures.There is not enough room to place your feet near the fire and I'm wearing 4 season socks and boots?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
First thing, sub zero, ground not wet.:p

A layer of dry grass, twigs, someone elses sleeping bag, under your feet to insulate you from the cold, hard, ground.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't really get cold feet when I'm by the fire, I usually have my 400g Woolpower socks on in winter though so that helps a lot.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm a bit like Shewie... I don't seem to get really cold feet but what I do is to loosen off the laces so my feet have room to flex whilst I'm resting by the fire.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I'm a bit like Shewie... I don't seem to get really cold feet but what I do is to loosen off the laces so my feet have room to flex whilst I'm resting by the fire.

Works for me too. This allows me to get some air around my feet and as I flex my ankles and toes I am in effect warming that air. It is the layer principle.

Every now and then make sure you do get your feet near the fire but on the whole as Mike said try and keep some insulation between your boots and the ground.

George

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What are you sitting on?
  • I work on the principle that a warm body = warm feet so, I take a folding chair and insulate it either with a reindeer hide or a wool blanket.
Are you wearing a warm hat?
  • A huge amount of heat is lost through the back of your neck and head, so wrap these up and keep your feet warm.
Simon

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
What are you sitting on?
  • I work on the principle that a warm body = warm feet so, I take a folding chair and insulate it either with a reindeer hide or a wool blanket.
Are you wearing a warm hat?
  • A huge amount of heat is lost through the back of your neck and head, so wrap these up and keep your feet warm.
Simon
Just been on QI . You loose just as much through your head as any other part of your skin thats uncovered (saw the results when they used a thermal camera)

garethw

Settler
I remember sitting out fishing as a kid with 10 hole DM's and blocks of ice instead of feet...
Since wearing goretex boots, I've recently got a pair of Le Chameau gortex jobbies..combined with proper hiking socks I can honestly say I've not had cold feet.. even when out fishing in November when the air temp went below -6°C, and I had no fire.
Possibly boots that are too tight and that don't let your feet breath my cause coldness..I don't know...
cheers
Gareth

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Good boots. good socks and WIGGLE YOUR TOES!!.... Keeping yer toes moving keeps the blood pumping and your feet warm... You soon do it as second nature

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Cold feet?

Put a hat on.

I know it sounds stupid...

Did to me when I was told.

Try it.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Indeed the extra heat loss through head thing is a fallacy, however the idea that if your feet are cold to put on a hat is not.
see we spend most of our lives with uncovered heads and this amounts to an awful lot of skin exposure. by limiting this we reduce heat loss.
so wrap up the neck and wear a hat ;)

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi,
I use pile & pertex bivvy boots..the sole is waterproof ant the tops are water risistant but very breathable..the are also meant to be worn inside your sleeping bag..and over socks keep my foot toasty
regards
stu

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Thanks for all the replies folks,it looks like not letting them get cold in the first place is the answer,maybe tinfoil and felt insoles and loosen the laces is the way to go.I'll try it out and get back to you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actualy Chris there is a modern cure...I have reviewed (a few years back now ) some electronically heated insoles.
I got them from Scarpa but do not know if they still do them.IIRC they were rechargable and had a remote switch - so no dangly wires.
SWMBO hijacked them after the review and I forgot about them... I will see if I can dig out the review.....
Article submitted by John Fenna

Magazine: Sporting Shooter
Working Title: Scarpa: Grizu Heating Supported Footbed
Subject Area: Reviews
Rights Granted: Text: Copyright John Fenna. First British Serial Rights only.
Photographs: Copyright John Fenna. Single use, non exclusive,
UK editorial rights only.
Date: December 2007

SCARPA: GRIZU HEATING SUPPORTED FOOTBED

An elegant solution for the problems anyone who really suffers with cold feet, is the Grizu, a patented footbed that includes a Micro Processor controlled rechargeable Lithium battery powered heating unit.

Each pair of footbeds comes with a battery charger with twin leads that plug directly into the insoles so you can charge both at the same time, and a remote control so you do not need to take your boot off to switch the unit on.

Fitting into almost any boots or shoes, the footbeds are designed to keep the temperature inside your footwear at around 38 degreesC/100 degrees F, work in even quite humid conditions and, if soaked, will switch off to protect themselves and will work again once dried.

The footbeds and remote have red flashing lights to show they are working, are flexible and pretty comfortable (although not having as much shock absorption built in as most footbeds) and will work for about 5-6 hours before needing a recharge that takes about 4 hours, and can be recharged before they are totally drained.

The review sample came with a 2-pin plug that only fitted my shaving socket, or would need an adaptor.

Coming in a smart, heavy duty zipped nylon case with full instructions, a set of Grizu Heating Support Footbeds costs around £140 and come in sizes 6-11 (39-46)

For more information contact The Mountain Boot Company (Scarpa):
www.scarpa.co.uk
Tel 0191 296 0212

There we go!

Last edited:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Thanks for that John,but at £140 I think I'm going to have to find another method.Or make a pair!!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
When my feet get cold I stand up and walk around the fire. just 30 seconds moving around warms my feet up.

I have 2 layers of normal socks and berghaus boots.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Most boots specify that you should not go near a powerful heat source with them otherwise they can wreck the leather and breath ability of the boots. What do you guys suggest? (I also get cold feet at night on occasion).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Heat Holders are very good Chris, I've not tried them for sitting around in but I do wear them around the house and I've got a pair I use for sleeping in the hammock. TKMaxx were selling them off cheap recently if you've got one near.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Long johns. I've got long legs so the blood travels and cools on its way down to my feet.
Having long johns on keeps my legs and feet warm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE