Cold Case NEW

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK folks, what is the victim and predator involved here? Extra points for telling me what was happening to the bird the few days before he got killed. The clues are all there...

DSC07565.jpg

DSC07567.jpg

DSC07569.jpg

DSC07570.jpg

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Ooo- I like these, even though I haven't got a clue :)
I'm gonna go for a mink, because it's fairly small.
The bird was fledging - the sheath appears to be still rising up over the feather a little bit in that last shot as though it's only just "unfurled" (whatever the correct name for it is)
And ...er... it was a small grey job ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ooo- I like these, even though I haven't got a clue :)
I'm gonna go for a mink, because it's fairly small.
The bird was fledging - the sheath appears to be still rising up over the feather a little bit in that last shot as though it's only just "unfurled" (whatever the correct name for it is)
And ...er... it was a small grey job ;)

You have one out of three ;)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
don't dogs and foxes chew the feathers off too? i was always told that if the tips of the feathers had been torn off then it was a dog or a fox and if they were still there then it was a cat or something else

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
don't dogs and foxes chew the feathers off too? i was always told that if the tips of the feathers had been torn off then it was a dog or a fox and if they were still there then it was a cat or something else

Yes they do. Cats lleave similar sign too.

You can usually judge the size of the mouth that ripped the feathers out by the size of the clumps. You can usually find evidence of tooth size on some shafts also, although this isn't always so.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Missed out on this one, but I love these threads. Keep 'em coming, I'm learning a hell of alot.

It's baby snake season now for all of our adders, so I'll be out and about surveying alot in the next few weeks, so you'll see more of these threads. Glad you enjoy them.

JeroenK

Apr 25, 2009
Deventer, NL
www.peatfreak.com
Ah, jumping in late. Nice one!

What I often notice is you guys name animals like muntjack and mink, and each time I raise an eyebrow. Here in Netherlands we have imported animals in the wild, but not yet as many and widely spread as you have in the UK. I think it makes it easier for us, but more interesting for you, to have more factors that can play a role.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Jonathan,
Firstly, let me say that I have great respect for your knowledge in the field, but....
Judging that your knife in the photo is about life-size, the turd suggests to me you have a wild pole-cat there, or possibly a feral ferret.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Not a ferret, they always poop up against something or in a corner rather than out in the open like that.
Best way to confuse a feret is to put them in a round cage!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Jonathan,
Firstly, let me say that I have great respect for your knowledge in the field, but....
Judging that your knife in the photo is about life-size, the turd suggests to me you have a wild pole-cat there, or possibly a feral ferret.

The area where that was found is a well known spot where I always find stoat kills and sign. I've often sat further up the bank and watched them play. The stool is also very sloppy and expanded alot more than you would usually get with a stoat, it's quite typical of many of the stoat poo I find around the area as they eat alot of eggs from domestic chickens a stones threw away.

I'm certainly open to the possibility that there may have been an alien wondering through though. I'll have a scout about next time I'm up and see what I can find.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Would it be possible to get half an idea, or at least narrow it down a bit, by the overall spread of the feathers (wind permitting)?

Edit* I don't mean for this particular case whether it's stoat or mink, but in general on an initial sighting.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Would it be possible to get half an idea, or at least narrow it down a bit, by the overall spread of the feathers (wind permitting)?

Edit* I don't mean for this particular case whether it's stoat or mink, but in general on an initial sighting.

Absolutely. A smaller predator would create less of a spread of feathers. It can be difficult though as there may be scavengers involved too, and as you've said... wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE