Coffee, less is more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think the toilet part was referring to the laxative effect coffee has on some of us! myself in particular ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There are some good cake and coffee shops in Budapest. We've stayed near the West End centre/Grand Boulevard and spent time eating and drinking great cake and coffee.... really must get out there again. :)

Good cake and coffee shops? If Carlsberg made a cake and coffee shop then is would probably be the Daubner Cukrászda, probably the best cake and coffee shop in the world. :)

They don't sell Greek/Turkish/Arabic coffees, at least not the last time I was there. But the Meggyes kiflik (cherry croissants) are to die for.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is more to coffee than just Greek (which does not affect my bowel patterns) coffee :) As you know we gave thought to long term rental in Budapest for a retirement option but sadly, Spain won :( Still, there is good coffee in Spain,

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I love Greek/Turkish/Cypriot coffee, and I think the original post is very useful, as all you need on the trail is a small pot, water and finely ground Greek coffee (available from Tesco, I forget the brand, might have had a parrot on it). I like it metrio (medium sweet) so maybe a bit of sugar too.

In Greece you always get a glass of water with it, and even in tourist areas it is usually the cheapest drink on the menu. In fact, a glass of water (without the coffee) sometimes costs more. Also, when you say ena metrio, parakalo the waiter stops treating you like another tourist, and you see how good Greek hospitality can be.

It is also surprisingly refreshing in the heat, a bit like the mint tea in North Africa.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Perhaps that is something we don't quite get with the drinking of coffee which is a diuretic, we can enjoy the taste without becoming dehydrated, something which is more pertinent in hotter climates. In arabia coffee was accompanied with water when I partook of Arabian coffee.

Mostly I drink instant and of the cheapest variety, happy shopper brand, but watching Mors Kochanski and how he brews bush coffee I learned something, cheap coffee can taste fabulous brewed the right way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Perhaps that is something we don't quite get with the drinking of coffee which is a diuretic, we can enjoy the taste without becoming dehydrated, something which is more pertinent in hotter climates. In arabia coffee was accompanied with water when I partook of Arabian coffee.

Mostly I drink instant and of the cheapest variety, happy shopper brand, but watching Mors Kochanski and how he brews bush coffee I learned something, cheap coffee can taste fabulous brewed the right way.

Thats wrong on so many levels :(

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hello! I'd like to try this greek coffee, but I dont want to go out there and buy all the gear just for a test. Whats so special about the briki, can a small pan not do the same job?

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Hello! I'd like to try this greek coffee, but I dont want to go out there and buy all the gear just for a test. Whats so special about the briki, can a small pan not do the same job?

The pan needs to be quite narrow to allow the foam to build up. If you have a stainless steel milk jug (the kind used for frothing milk) or something like that, you could probably use it instead?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE