Coffee, less is more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Boiling water on coffee, instant or real, isn't good.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

But its how you make Greek coffee, its an intrinsic part of the process, do you not get that bit? No boil, no froth, no froth no Greek coffee lol

Sent from my i7, 12Gb ram, 250Gb SSD, 6TB storage PC.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hmm.. last time i was in greece I was 12 so I can't comment ;)

But but but.. the man said so! do you ever percolate coffee? why don't you try it for yourself and see if you can taste the difference, might be worth a go :)

Last edited:

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
you don't put boiling water on coffee in any of the examples, you start with cold water and coffee and bring it to the boil, and if it's old grounds and turning bitter then add a pinch of salt

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I have an expensive espresso machine at home which produces a fantastic thick crema (froth) the coffee is nowhere near boiling, in fact the wife puts her cup in the microwave after its made as she drinks it as hot as tea.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
so your a gamer then rik lol regards dave

I played before I moved to Cyprus but improved 100% out there, I would play fifty games a day easily. Some of the variations of standard backgammon are good, one starts off with no stones on the board you throw to set up and landing on an opponent does not knock him off, it blocks him.

Happy days, now need to go and boil some Greek coffee;)

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
If you have tried Turkish, then try Arabic, for they also have a ritual with making the coffee and they mix their brew with cardamom, but no sugar, as the tradition is coffee is normally served with dates and seeing as dates are sweet, there is the sweetener for the bitter coffee. I used to make it myself on an open fire using an old brass dallah, the dallah being designed for fire use, wouldn't fancy carrying one back packing though, but have carried the aluminium moka pot and there is even a camping variant of that thing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've tried it a few times, its a nice brew. We have Iraqi friends who make very nice Arabic sweet tea which I also enjoy.

grilled bear

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If you have tried Turkish, then try Arabic, for they also have a ritual with making the coffee and they mix their brew with cardamom, but no sugar, as the tradition is coffee is normally served with dates and seeing as dates are sweet, there is the sweetener for the bitter coffee. I used to make it myself on an open fire using an old brass dallah, the dallah being designed for fire use, wouldn't fancy carrying one back packing though, but have carried the aluminium moka pot and there is even a camping variant of that thing.

So whats the deal with the camping moka pot?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If your trying Greek coffee for the first time then a few words of caution.

Make sure there is a toilet nearby.

Should also be said that not only is there a process for making Greek coffee there is also a process for drinking it.
If you drink it like a cuppa tea then you'll be spending more time on the toilet than playing "Ταβλι"

It's very strong and it needs to be consumed over a period of time, not only to help you stomach it, but also to help the ground beans settle to the bottom of the cup.

I've been living here for 13 years now and i still can't stomach the stuff, it's certainly an acquired taste.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your trying Greek coffee for the first time then a few words of caution.

Make sure there is a toilet nearby.

Should also be said that not only is there a process for making Greek coffee there is also a process for drinking it.
If you drink it like a cuppa tea then you'll be spending more time on the toilet than playing "Ταβλι"

It's very strong and it needs to be consumed over a period of time, not only to help you stomach it, but also to help the ground beans settle to the bottom of the cup.

I've been living here for 13 years now and i still can't stomach the stuff, it's certainly an acquired taste.

Why need the toilet? I posted a link to a little Greek lady making coffee, its an easy process, ideal for camping really. Very nice with a glass of Five Kings at the end of the night :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was hooked from my first day in Greece. :)

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

There are some good cake and coffee shops in Budapest. We've stayed near the West End centre/Grand Boulevard and spent time eating and drinking great cake and coffee.... really must get out there again. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE