Cloak/blanket/poncho options...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I have been thinking about this for a while now and am wanting to try a slightly more historical approach to an overnighter whilst at the same time minimising what I carry.

I am normally a hammocker with all the trappings that entails - sleeping bag, roll mat, tarp etc...

I am quite in to my history and am also an avid reader of the fantasy genre (the likes of David gemmel , Raymond e feist etc...) due to their portrayal of a simpler time, minus the constant ravaging wars that is, and though I know there is a great deal of artistic license in fiction i like the idea of taking a simple heavy cloak, blanket or even an army greatcoat to wrap up in of a night time - not far from what I expect would have been the case a few hundred years or more ago.

My questions about these are -

Can anyone recommend anything like the above?
What are the the waterproof qualities of these kind of things?
I realise this will not be the most comfortable or warm experience but can I stand a chance to get a reasonable nights sleep on the ground?
Would I be better off with a modern poncho with quilted liner?

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions (as well as pointing out how mad I must be to want to try this) would be greatly appreciated.

All the best, Hamster

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
By far my favorite way to camp is on the ground in my wool blanket sewed like a sleeping bag but looser, next to the fire with a basic lean too tarp. Quick simple but for me the best way and makes me feel very intouch with the outdoors and the old ways of doing things. Alot nicer than being up in the trees with a tarp blocking your view :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I did a short solo overnighter saturday night. I hammocked, but used a thick underblanket beneath me in the hammock, and just my thinnish cloak (made from a US navy poncho) to cover my lower body. To be honest, I was a bit cold, although that was purely my feet. Once I wrapped my feet into the underblanket I was fine.

The next day I was caught in a short sharp shower. I huddled up under a tree with the cloak around me, and was pretty comfortable and largely dry. I wear a T3 Tilley hat with the cloak to protect my head. My cloak is thick cotton, I think.

I like the versatility a cloak offers. Later I used it to cover my pack in a lighter shower, my jacket being enough to keep me dry. Once the sun came out, I spread the cloak out, and it dried out quickly enough and I could use it as a groundsheet to protect me from the wet ground during my lunch.

If I could afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to get a good wool cloak.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i was trying to google what the cowboys wear i thought it was called a sowester but turns out thats an oil skin hat so what are the blanket cloaks the cowboys used to wear called?

Kwaidan

Jan 4, 2012
S.E. London
i was trying to google what the cowboys wear i thought it was called a sowester but turns out thats an oil skin hat so what are the blanket cloaks the cowboys used to wear called?

I thought they were the original Poncho's? Although Mexican version is called a sarape apparently.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i always have a wool blanket or poncho to wrap up in has always felt more natural. a large wool blanket can ve great if you wrap up in it properly with one of the corners tucked over your feet then the sides wrapped around to keep the heat in. nae as warm on its own as modern kit but atleast you can sleep next to a fire without your sleeping bag melting etc

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

The originals were the Mexican serape. The cowboys north of the border never wore one except in movies; They wore various coats depending on what part of the country they were in. Probably the best choice from that century would either be a serape (in mild weather) or a Capote coat in colder weather (more used by the trappers than the cowboys and slighty earlier) or a cavalry cape.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wool cloaks are very versatile. They keep you warm, do a surprisingly good job of protecting you from rain, allow plenty of air to circulate to allow you to regulate temperature and just feel natural to wear in a way that is difficult to describe.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Waxed cotton ponchoes are available on ebay from somebody in Llanelli - about £35 quid I think. I made my own from lightweight canvas and PVA paint with lots of black poster paint in it that can double up as a wrap around over and under the blanket. Wollen blanket - easy to get hold of and lovely and warm, just roll it up and sling it over your shoulder, using a bit of thong to tie up the ends and its even easy to carry.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Been thinking along these lines to, what about using o0ne of the stockman style wax cotton coats ?, has anyone tried that ?.

Rob

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I bought a stockman at a boot sale a week or so ago but not used it yet. It comes down to my ankles. It weighs a ton (well, 2.5kg) and is pretty warm so maybe for autumn/winter. Having used wax cotton before I know they it is not breathable so the coat will be a lot warmer and less versatile than a poncho/cape. I see as ideal for a static camp in bad weather.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Been thinking along these lines to, what about using o0ne of the stockman style wax cotton coats ?, has anyone tried that ?.

If your moving around on horseback they are ideal, not so much if you plan to walk around in rain or heavy mist, a poncho would be a better option. :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far, i think i will try and get hold of a good woolen blanket and give that a try.
I must admit and not expecting as comfortable a night as will a sleeping bag, roll mat etc... but would just light to see if i can do an overnighter with it and still get some sleep and not feel too bad the following day.

I already have a full length waxed jacket which is great for keeping dry but the insulating qualities when stationary are not great and I couldnt see it being much good except perhaps as ground protection ir a makeshift ground sheet.

Cheers, Hamster

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've worn a modern army greatcoat in torrential and persistant rain before. It will keep rain out for quite a while, and depending on your baselayer choice, won't get overly uncomfortable or cold. But it will crush you from the weight once sodden....

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have worn a voluminous wool duffel coat in rain and it deals with it well but gets heavy.

To illustrate TLP's point I once wore a piece of wool as a short cape in a day's rain. It kept me dry but went from 700g to 1.5kg by the end, such is wool's ability to absorb water.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Vizsla
do you use a roll mat?

Depends mate if im going into the unknown then il take one but if im going to my usual spot then i dont bother as theres plenty of pine needles and bracken to make for a comfy bed. The blanket is quite big so theres double thickness underneath me. Or if its realy cold il take my blanket bed roll :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
did people ever actually rely on cloaks as essential clothing? or is it just films making it all look like a great idea..

Considering you can buy those scruffy wool blankets from ebay, the ones advertised for dog bedding and furniture covers I guess you could easily and affordably get a few of them to make a load of cloaks and capes to try out without having to spend £30+ on an nice exarmy one.

If they are too itchy and rough, you could sew in a soft fleece layer to the underside. As far as I'm aware, fleece is as insulating as wool, but it will melt if sparked, but if you keep the udnerside on yourself and not bare to any stray embers then you'd be alright!

Take a look here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDIEVAL-..._Crafts_SewingPatterns_EH&hash=item19ae14995c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goth-Goth..._Crafts_SewingPatterns_EH&hash=item5889abf78c

you don't have to follow the pattern exactly.. as you might end up looking a bit daft but the base for a design is there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE