Cinnabar Moths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi folks,

Just got back from a wander with the small one. We called in to our church yard to see what wild flowers are about now it's being actively managed to encourage the flowers and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of Cinnabar moths. Even more pleased with how a couple of shots of them came out.

Here they are:

P7160461.jpg

P7160465.jpg

I wasn't choosing the mating couples to be pervy, but they stayed still better like that!

Al

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Robin: One of the reasons I was surprised to see them in the church yard is because there is no Ragwort there. The vast majority I saw where taking nectar from Small Scabious.

Tengu: They are a delight to see. No idea how they got there name. First cataloged by a Mr Cinnabar? :dunno:

Al

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
I leave some ragwort to flower in my orchard, there's nothing on or near my land which will come to harm and it brings in lots of insects.

I saw my first Cinnabar moth of the year down there last Sunday, hoping for lots more soon. :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I would guess they're called Cinnabar moths because cinnabar is a bright red form of mercury sulphide, frequently used as a pigment (at least it was, until people realised how horribly toxic it is, and developed safer alternatives).

Those look more like Burnet moths than Cinnabar moths though... The fact that they're active during the day also makes me suspect Burnet rather than Cinnabar.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Gregorach. Thanks for pointing out my error. I did a brief check via google images and saw several moths like those in my pics and thought it just a difference within the species, much like the Orchid pics I posted recently.

There. The thread now has the correct title.

Cheers

Al

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Easy mistake to make. I only know them because there were always loads around where we used to go on holidays when I was a kid.

There are actually about half-a-dozen different species of Burnet moth in the UK. Those ones are Six Spot Burnets, which is the most common species.

They're also one of the moths to remember the next time you hear Stephen Fry on QI claiming that the difference between moths and butterflies is that moths are nocturnal... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE