Cheap waterproof jacket suggestions please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

As usual my purchases are heavily fund restricted, and therefore i'm looking at army surplus, but i'm open to other ideas.

I'm looking for a waterproof jacket/smock
50 quid or less
Suitable in front of a fire
Hood
Ideally covers my butt when i sit down.
I'd prefer it if it wasnt camo

Any suggestions, or anyone clearing any old clothes out (43" chest - would like to be big enough to wear layers under it)?

Thanks as always

Ben

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For fire proof and nearly waterproof you're looking at Ventile really, but you ain't gonna get one for £50 unless you fall lucky at a charity shop.

The trouble with the modern waterproof fabrics like goretex and eVent etc is they don't like a spark from the fire, so your back to natural fibres like wool or cotton really. What about layering up with a cheap exarmy goretex jacket and then a cotton smock over the top for fireside shenanigans ? You can get plain green army stuff if you look for some of the foreign versions like dutch, german and french etc. You can get some decent quality cotton smocks like the RAF navy ones or even a fishing one like these ....
http://www.yarmo.co.uk/acatalog/Fisherman_s_Smocks.html
You might be able to proof the cotton with Nikwax or Thompsons and if it turns out well you could get rid of the waterproof layer altogether.

Plenty of good alternatives about which I'm sure the guys will chip in

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How about an old Berghaus Lightning? Not that easy to find sadly now but they appear on ebay now and again and usually go for around £30. So what you get is a Gore-Tex jacket with a good simple design in forest green in a non military style. True sparks will melt it but I wear mine by the fire all the time and its not really an issue IMO. Here's one in blue:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Berghaus-Ligh...718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb1727f6e

Its a shame Berghaus dont make these anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE