cheap hanging fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
just rustled this up from a steel bread basket from pound land.
3 holes drilled in the top edge and a couple in the base for air. bent 3 bits of wire into hooks with a loop at top for the chain and a small upward point to the inside which fits under the lip of the balti pot. seems stable when hanging and being waved about, used a tranja handle for adding or removing the pot. it's a good shape with excellent air flow and nice heat. ground underneath just warm to the touch and it all cooled down pretty quick, chains hardly heated up.
cooked some sausages in the pan (over the flames) then put them onto skewers with a bread mix coat and rested them straight on the fire pot edges over the embers to finish. i can also rest a billy on skewers to boil stuff if needed. just need to stitch up a carry bag, possibly with a sub pocket to keep the chains in neatly.

102_6657.jpg

102_6656.jpg

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
thanks guys

ps both pots and chains weigh in at 400g, and the chains are 16 inches long. bottom pot cost 1 pound, chain about 2. good cost to my thinking, i'd been looking to make something to use over peat or in pine, fir, spruce woodland.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
got me wondering if you could flip it around and put removable legs on the bottom and sit pots directly on it with some skewers. could be a very versatile bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE