cheap hammock mat is it warm enough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Quick question guys,

will a cheap 6mm closed cell foam mat be warm enough for hammocking ? Seen one in Tescos for £3.00.

thanks

Andy

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Yes mate plenty warm enough,and if it's between the two panels of the hammock it will stay in place.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
At that price, get two. Cut the 2nd one add a few eyelets and use it as an extention for the shoulder area. Whats left over can then be made into a folding seat.

6mm is not the thickest but would still work fine inside a "DD", particulary this time of year.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
At that price, get two. Cut the 2nd one add a few eyelets and use it as an extention for the shoulder area. Whats left over can then be made into a folding seat.

6mm is not the thickest but would still work fine inside a "DD", particulary this time of year.

Good idean HM, 2nd one a bit like wings i'm thinking ?

I'll be using my 58 pattern bag so that's warm as well.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
you can get camping mat at the pound shop for £1, 4mm, to 5mm, buy two or three if you want, folding seat, use them in camp for messing around your fire, etc, etc, in blue, green, light green, yellow even a red one.
Cheers.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I'm going to have to chime in here with a big NO.

I went out last Monday with one of those, I'd even split it in half and taped the long sides together, so that the foam wrapped up around my shoulders, and had a self inflatable under my back. I was frozen. The temp at 4am was 1degree C, my back couldn't have been much above that.

Maybe with a few mats, but that will take up serious pack space, and seriously doubt you'll see much difference this time of year.

I'm no way an expert, just learning myself, but I'm now leaning towards biting the bullet and shelling out for the £62 under blanket.

xylaria

I got the DD travel so i put it in the flap thing underneath, hopefully it will stay in place. lol

Yeah thats what I do, it can be like sleeping on a warped plank, but I am not cold. We have two types of supa-cheapy mats. The chunky Lidl mats have silver backing they are alot warmer but bend up lumpy when adults use them, but they work great for children. The other is tesco budget which is blue and soft these work fine in hammock but can get a bit cold in wind but work fine if a survival sheet is put under them. The tesco survival sheets are really large.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hetzen
Could you elaborate
I can't see how you would be cold with all that available insulation
It was quite a cold night on monday though we had ground frost here
You had the mat on top of a self inflating one?
You didnt fully inflate the self inflating one did you?
No gaps where you were lying directly on hammock material in back area?
What kind of sleeping bag did you have?
lots of questions but just trying to help

I have slept in -6C with jut a closed cell pad wiith no problems
Never used my self inflating mat in hammock, it somehow feels counterintuitive

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just sleep in a tent, I don't get all this flapping about with hammocks:rolleyes: In a good UK summer fine, or a tropical island even better but why all this messing about really is beyond me. Plus, they (hammocks) are anti social, a bit difficult to chat with your camp mate or have a game of cards when your swinging in the the wind and rain and separated by a tree or three.

xylaria

Just sleep in a tent, I don't get all this flapping about with hammocks:rolleyes: In a good UK summer fine, or a tropical island even better but why all this messing about really is beyond me. Plus, they (hammocks) are anti social, a bit difficult to chat with your camp mate or have a game of cards when your swinging in the the wind and rain and separated by a tree or three.

Oh but they are so comfy:D . Anyway when two people get in a magickelly hammock its not anti-social, now thats much freindlier than a tent:p . And I have played cards in hammock with another person.

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
It depends on the person. I can stay at 15 degres Celcius in just my t-shirt and trousers and I am pretty warm, one of my friends at that temperature he needs a sweter and a hat.

So in my opinion you are the only one who could know if it's warm enouth, so try it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE