Chanterelle's a plenty!......maybe??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I was out bimbling with my son today in a wood that was mainly oak and hazel, we stopped to take some picture of mushies and on reflection I think they were Chanterelle, unfortunately my camera was set on extra small image and you cant really tell what the picture is of but they do look like the images I have found online.
They were orange and trumpet shaped and growing at the base of trees, is there anything that looks similar to watch out for?
If these are what I believe them to be I want to dry them, can this be done in the oven like jerky?

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
IMAG0061.jpg

Not a great picture I know but thats all I got.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There are others, false chanterelle, jack o lanterns and possibly a few others. Take a look at Rogers Mushrooms, it is a website that has great explanations of the charachteristics of thousands of different funghi and pictures to boot. Ensure you are 100 per cent positive before you even consider eating them, maybe take some to a local mycologist who can positively ID them for you.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They aren't chanterelles. that much is for certain. Your 2nd ones could be a type of field mushroom, but I am ppurely guessing by now. Unless you get 100 % ID, I'd leave them out!

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I think you may have something there Spam, what I found look different to that.
I may have found a new species of Chanterelle, slightly tastier and more valuable than the normal ones, I'll go back and pick some and get some clear images. Thanks!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How to ID a milk cap.

1] make sure it is a milk cap, break a part of the gills and wait. If no milk comes out it is proberly not a milk cap. Observe how much milk comes out, and what colour it is. Nothing deadly poisonous makes milk.

2]Dip a white cloth into the milk, does the milk change colour when it dries.

3]Dip your finger into the milk, take one drop and then place on tip of tongue. The taste of the milk is a very important feature, it can range from chilli seed oil (ouch!) to soya milk (tasteless), so be prepared to spit out the taste. Identitcal looking species can have very differant tastes. Taste testing is safe with milks caps and russulas as long as very small quantities are placed on the tongue, before being spat out. It is a stupid thing to do with other gilled fungi.

4]Smell the cap, this also a distingushing feature, the smells range from gorse blossum to rancid cod liver oil.

I find I often can ID in the field by taking taste and smell into consideration. Well anyway I have no idea what jersalum artichoke smells like, but I think your milk cap maybe lactarius volemus looking at size and the surface of the cap. The wood mushroom is an agaricus essttei (abruptibulbus) as the gills are free from the stem, make sure that it doesn't bruse bright yellow, lemon yellow is fine bright yellow isn't.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
How to ID a milk cap.

1] make sure it is a milk cap, break a part of the gills and wait. If no milk comes out it is proberly not a milk cap. Observe how much milk comes out, and what colour it is. Nothing deadly poisonous makes milk.

2]Dip a white cloth into the milk, does the milk change colour when it dries.

3]Dip your finger into the milk, take one drop and then place on tip of tongue. The taste of the milk is a very important feature, it can range from chilli seed oil (ouch!) to soya milk (tasteless), so be prepared to spit out the taste. Identitcal looking species can have very differant tastes. Taste testing is safe with milks caps and russulas as long as very small quantities are placed on the tongue, before being spat out. It is a stupid thing to do with other gilled fungi.

4]Smell the cap, this also a distingushing feature, the smells range from gorse blossum to rancid cod liver oil.

I find I often can ID in the field by taking taste and smell into consideration. Well anyway I have no idea what jersalum artichoke smells like, but I think your milk cap maybe lactarius volemus looking at size and the surface of the cap. The wood mushroom is an agaricus essttei (abruptibulbus) as the gills are free from the stem, make sure that it doesn't bruse bright yellow, lemon yellow is fine bright yellow isn't.

Right, I have been back to get more info, I pulled a lump out of the gills and no milk came out, the top is slimey and there is no strong smell. Hopefully the images I got will clear it up!
IMAG0068.jpg

As for the field mushroom I think you hit the nail on the head and it bruises lemon yellow!!

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
During my time in the Army we were only told of TWO that could be eaten with certainty. The puff ball, providing it's perfectly white inside and the field mushroom. Big flat buggers. We did find out about certain big white mushrooms that are horse mushrooms. They look like big knoble field mushies, but smell of aniseed. Also edible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE