Cats - I hate them.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ok chaps, i need some advice (keep it legal please), this morning when we went to inspect the garden, we found that one of the local cats has again, decided to use our garden as a public dunny, not only has it dug up the Primrose border and carped everywhere, but it has also dug up an entire row of Beetroot in the veg patch, for info the entire veg patch is covered with netting to stop the Pigeons and up until now the cats, but this cat has sat on the netting and dug the ground up through the mesh and then left it's calling card on top of the net!!!!!!!!!.

We have tried everything, from Orange peel, Citronella sticks, Sonic repellers, Pepper and all manner of other commercially available "solutions", nothing seems to work, so, has anybody got an legal ideas on what might work, and no i dont want a dog either.

Cheers people.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
We have new neighbours and they have seven cats. They are creating havoc in all the gardens bar two - mine and one other, where unsurprisingly, there are a pir of dogs in each. I've seen the things eyeing up our chickens but Bryn hates cats as much as you (maybe more) and they know what will happen.

Shame you aren't close enough for Bryn to visit as I think it may be the only legal way forward.

If you can catch them squirt diluted fairy liquid at them, they seem to really hate that .

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I used to have the same problem until I got a cat it keeps the other cats out of the garden and carps on the neighbours flower beds much to my amusement

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
Try human urine liberally sprinkled round the perimeter of your garden. The early morning wee is the best, more concentrated.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
You can get motion sensor triggered water sprays, which seem to get mixed reviews.

Personally I just loaded up a super soaker water gun thingy with a mix of water+chilli oil and left it by the back door. Aim at any orifice when you see them (****/eyes etc).

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I am a catowner and-lover, but the very reasons you mentioned have made me decide to naturally fase out our personal stock of cats. We're down from 5 to 2 and after these have gone, there'll be no more. There are way to many cats everywhere as it is, but I wonder off....
You are right, catowners have to take their responsibility, too!
As for the problems in our neighbourhood, we always kept a patch of really loose and sandy soil in a corner of our garden and our cats did their business there as far as we could see, given the amount of evidence...

A good solution, especially in summertime, is to have a gardenhose at the ready. A good hard and icecold jet of water will see off most cats and the real stubborn/stupid ones might need a second treatment. A supersoaker might do the job, but it's not powerfull or cold enough.... or find another way to scare the bejesus out of them. Harming the animal permanently is not an option. After all the animal does what is has too, same as a dog if he had the chance.
Tracking down the cat's owner and pointing out the problem would be a civilised way to try and tackle the problem, but practice has shown (to me) that most people simply don't care, what their animals do; cats, dogs, ferrets whatever....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Cats? Wonderful animals. Kill off all those noisy song-birds that wake me up at the crack of dawn, help aerate the lawn and flower-beds (just like overgrown worms when you think about it) and dig in fertiliser at the same time. Clearly a gardeners best friend...

Whats not to love?:)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi Kep

We've tried all sorts of things to stop the neighbourhood cats going on our front flower bed, but the thing that seems to have cracked the problem is to spread old coffee grounds around. The cats don't come near now; they seem to be put off by the smell, though it's too subtle for we humans fortunately - ie the garden doesn't smell like Starbucks!

We get the grounds free from our work coffee shop, so no money involved either - result!

Hope that helps

Dave

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I used to have the same problem until I got a cat it keeps the other cats out of the garden and carps on the neighbours flower beds much to my amusement

Beat me to it. We never had any problems when we had a cat of our own. We trained it to only use an appropriate place and it kept out all the other cats. We lived next door to a market gardener and he loved our cat.

Are you sure it is a cat? we have problems with badgers. Apparently they choose a spot well away from their setts and return to it regularly.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When my wife lived in a terraced house with a small garden she couldn't keep her dog there, it was too small.

She tried all sorts of ways of stopping cats from getting in to carp in the yard.

Eventually she hit on the idea of not trying to stop them getting in, but stopping them getting out, which was a lot easier and a lot more effective.

When they found that (a) they couldn't get out of the yard and (b) there was a hysterical woman chasing them around with a bucket of soapy water they seemed to changed their habits very quickly.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cats hate getting wet, 2 options which i have used to good effect are a supersoaker to drench the buggers when i'm in, or a garden sprinkler rigged up to a motion detector like those on floodlights for when i'm out. Works a treat.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
As a cat owner heres my 2p worth, we get far more nuisance from dogs around here, and badgers

cat cat carp and pee from another cat, especially this ones rivals
also human pee
supersoaker

the audible deterrants dont generally work, although they do work on women ( now theres a thought!!)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Disgusting creatures. They should be covered by the same laws as dogs - leash walked and not allowed out unattended.

Of course if the cat is causing damage...it is a matter for civil litigation, your neighbours are not allowed to allow their pet to damage your property. A trail camera and the small claims court should bring some redress. I have a trail camera you can borrow.

Red

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
On a more serious note, I seem to remember that under the ?1970 animals Act? a cat is considered a wild animal as they are untrainable, and as such they can have no owner per se. So you are NOT responsible for damage caused by "your" cat. However, maybe a member of the legal profession on the boards can enlighten us as to the true state of affairs!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE