Cats - I hate them.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Might be a daft idea but the best way to stop the cat doing it's business in your garden is to get a cat yourself. Look at it this way, if you get a confident rescue cat you'll probably find neighbours cars keep out of your garden. Plus you'll be giving a homeless cat a home. As for your new cat goes. It'll use a litter tray not your garden or it'll be off crapping in someone else's garden. If it's a dominant cat that could well be in the garden of the owners of the cat currently digging your garden up. I'd quite like that idea myself.kind of ironic I ph.d.

Well, think abt it, ppl say use lion poo to scare cars away. Just get a big tomcat and it'll sort your cat,problem out. Might have a few scraps on the way though.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I had the same problem until i accidentally found a fix

I was Practicing some fig 4 deadfalls and Spring snares and accidentally forgot to dismantle them before I went to bed, as this was in my own back yard surround by a 6 foot fence on all sides I wasn't too bothered,

Who would have guess Cats are scared of fig 4 deadfalls and Spring snares, coz I've not seen any since then..... hmmmm lol

Not that I nor BCUK endorse anything illegal or cruel.

Now on a more serious not I did set up a Few Fig 4 Traps in my garden with Baskets instead of A weight, I caught the offending Cats and took them to there owners, once I explained what their cats were doing and they wouldn't like it if my Giant Great Dane done the same on their lawn, which i was more than willing to do they stopped kicking the poor defenseless family pet out on a night to fend for it's self and keeping it ferrel.

Ah - Great Danes! Used to have one, and it taught me an interesting scientific fact that I like to call "critical mass". With all my other dogs over the decades, dog poop - if left - would eventually dry up from the sun or freeze in cold weather (I'm ignoring the stuff that got washed away in heavy rain...)

With Great Dane poop, no matter how long you left it in the sun or cold, it always retained a soft centre within the hard outer crust - hence clearly there is a critical mass of dog poop requiredto achieve that state. Although maybe the shape had something to do with it, as it always seemed to end up cone-shaped..................

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah - Great Danes! Used to have one, and it taught me an interesting scientific fact that I like to call "critical mass". With all my other dogs over the decades, dog poop - if left - would eventually dry up from the sun or freeze in cold weather (I'm ignoring the stuff that got washed away in heavy rain...)

With Great Dane poop, no matter how long you left it in the sun or cold, it always retained a soft centre within the hard outer crust - hence clearly there is a critical mass of dog poop requiredto achieve that state. Although maybe the shape had something to do with it, as it always seemed to end up cone-shaped..................

Definitely TMI.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Might be a daft idea but the best way to stop the cat doing it's business in your garden is to get a cat yourself. Look at it this way, if you get a confident rescue cat you'll probably find neighbours cars keep out of your garden. Plus you'll be giving a homeless cat a home. As for your new cat goes. It'll use a litter tray not your garden or it'll be off crapping in someone else's garden. If it's a dominant cat that could well be in the garden of the owners of the cat currently digging your garden up. I'd quite like that idea myself.kind of ironic I ph.d.

Well, think abt it, ppl say use lion poo to scare cars away. Just get a big tomcat and it'll sort your cat,problem out. Might have a few scraps on the way though.

thanks for the suggestion, but see the thread title - I Hate Cats, so i wont be getting one, not now, not ever, well unless it's been made into a Davy Crockett style hat of course

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I had the same problem until i accidentally found a fix

I was Practicing some fig 4 deadfalls and Spring snares and accidentally forgot to dismantle them before I went to bed, as this was in my own back yard surround by a 6 foot fence on all sides I wasn't too bothered,

Who would have guess Cats are scared of fig 4 deadfalls and Spring snares, coz I've not seen any since then..... hmmmm lol

Not that I nor BCUK endorse anything illegal or cruel.

It's ironic isnt it, ive left three camera traps out since i made the opening post and not one has been tripped.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Update

Further to the various posts made, ive set camera traps up and not one has been tripped, see post above, but what does seem to have worked is the coffee grounds idea from Dark Horse Dave, ive spread two or three loads of used grounds on an area where this damned cat has been pooping, and it's not been back there since - looks like we might have a winner - Thanks Dave

as a side note the cage traps are in an area away from the coffee grounds

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
My nan always used to swear by using some old green garden hose, coiling it and then adding a head to make it look like a snake. She said it always scared the cats away and she would dot a few around her plant beds.

Maybe worth a try?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
My nan always used to swear by using some old green garden hose, coiling it and then adding a head to make it look like a snake. She said it always scared the cats away and she would dot a few around her plant beds.

Maybe worth a try?

im happy to try anything to keep these vermin out

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Pleased they worked for you; they're still doing the trick in my own garden too!
Regards

but what does seemed to have worked is the coffee grounds idea from Dark Horse Dave, ive spread two or three loads of used grounds on an area where this damned cat has been pooping, and it's not been back there since - looks like we might have a winner - Thanks Dave

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
How are they getting into your Garden?

If it's over a fence have you tried adding some spike strips?
If it's under a hedge can you block it?

My point is if you could stop it getting in to your garden, then all these other measures become unneccessary.

I'm not sure a 10m fence with razor wire and a moat filled with sharks with frikkin laser beams could stop cats getting into a garden.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'm not sure a 10m fence with razor wire and a moat filled with sharks with frikkin laser beams could stop cats getting into a garden.

Certainly the electric fence with 6000v running thriough it at the bottom of the garden doesnt stop them (the fence is there because we have horses & grazing at the bottom of the garden)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
How are they getting into your Garden?

If it's over a fence have you tried adding some spike strips?
If it's under a hedge can you block it?

My point is if you could stop it getting in to your garden, then all these other measures become unneccessary.

Good ideas, but not really practical im afraid.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

The prison fence is 10 feet high with razor wire coils along the top (3 coils) and bottom (6 coils in a pyramid stack) and there is concrete between the fences (2 fences 18 feet apart around the perimeter) to deter digging. None of this stops the cat infestation. They wander about inside the bottom coils of razor wire as if it were no more than any natural bramble patch and they're constantly setting off the microwave motion detectors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE