Casting a perfect mirror image?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was very fortunate to be given a resin casting kit for Christmas and I'd like to create some unique knife scales. My thought was to work up one in wood and then create a mould. But then how to create its exact pair? I can't think of a way to cheat it.... But maybe I'm missing something?

Cheers

Mike

N

Nomad

I don't think you're missing anything. To the best of my knowledge, moulds can't be turned inside out (or whatever) to make a mirror image. All you can do is make the two bucks as accurately as you can manage.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Shape the complete handle in wood, plastic, foam or whatever, then when you are happy with the shape, split it down the centre. Two halves of one whole.
et voilla. :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Can you not just make a pair with normal methods,,bandsaw/sanding etc mike??? or do you fancy playing with the kit?

N

Nomad

The profile gauge looks like pretty good way to go, albeit time consuming to get the second scale to match due to having to take things very slowly (sand a bit, check, sand a bit, check, etc).

Alternatively, you could start with existing scales and modify them, or make a mould from them, and then cast parts that will become the real bucks which are then modified.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can you not just make a pair with normal methods,,bandsaw/sanding etc mike??? or do you fancy playing with the kit?

Well my last resort is carving it completely from wax and creating a mold from that. But i was striving for perfect symmetry. May try the 3d printer at the Leeds Fab lab.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Ok, so I may not explain this too well, but here goes.

Think of it as making your own ply wood. Cut two identical perfect oval shape in a thin(ish) material, one will be left, one will be right. Now cut another pair slightly smaller and glue to the larger ones. Continue till you have the kind of profile you want. Now you can either fill the ridges with another medium of sand off the edges.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok, so I may not explain this too well, but here goes.

Think of it as making your own ply wood. Cut two identical perfect oval shape in a thin(ish) material, one will be left, one will be right. Now cut another pair slightly smaller and glue to the larger ones. Continue till you have the kind of profile you want. Now you can either fill the ridges with another medium of sand off the edges.

I get you. I think that's as accurate as i'll get.

Ta

M

N

Nomad

If you have the means to do the 3D CAD modelling, getting a 3D printer service to make them would likely give the best accuracy (they generally seem to be +/- 0.2mm or better), certainly for the least effort. From samples that I've seen, the finish is okay but not great, but some light sanding should sort that. I gather they use thermoplastic, usually ABS, which wouldn't be my first choice for a final product, but should be fine for making a buck for resin casting (provided the required finish can be acheived).

The advantage of making the initial model in CAD is that you do get a perfect mirror, albeit with some loss of that perfection when the part is printed (depends on where the rastered deposition ends up with respect to the curves in the model).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE