car kettle ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I guess this comes under urban bushcraft (sort of)

I am hoping this summer to have quite a few family days out in the car and it would be great if I could make some tea. what are good options for boiling water when out and about in the car. I only need it to make one or two cups of tea at a time

I do have a gas stove I could use but I wondered if there are any better options. I was a little concerned about leaving gas in the car.

I have seen a few 12v kettles but the youtube reviews do not look very impressive

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
plus one vote for Ghillie. Big enough for a brew for all, small enough to stay in boot, safe enough for kids around!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Old car kettle takes 20-25 mins to boil. Was great for certain trips, now hardly used. Like the toastie machine relegated to boot for when needed.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
My vote goes to an Optimus 111 paraffin/kerosene stove...a bit heavy for hiking, perfect for a car

Back in the day ...

111wearever_zpsowmywsib.jpg

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Yes, stay away from the 12v ones, they do boil a bit quicker with the engine running.

A Flask & insulated mugs, as being mentioned, is your best option.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
51VhZr2Sg2L._SY300_.jpg

I keep one of these in the car and a few bottles of gas for a quick brew. I've had no issues with keeping this in the car but i do keep it shaded a bit in the warmer months. Don't have to mess about with collecting wood etc.. to burn a kelly kettle either. Cheap as chips from a discount store too (Stove £10, 4 bottles gas £3.99)

Tonyuk

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Petrol station. Quick, easy and a choice of teas and coffees!

quick and easy? Maybe

pleasant and relaxing? not very often

I live in Pembrokeshire which is beautiful and very rural. But some of the beauty spots that I will be likely to spend time with the family are going to be 10 to 15 minutes away from the nearest shops or cafes. Most of the beaches do have a café of some type. A Kettle is not an essential item as it is easy to carry cold drinks and sometimes a flask. I just thought it maybe a nice option

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
51VhZr2Sg2L._SY300_.jpg

I keep one of these in the car and a few bottles of gas for a quick brew. I've had no issues with keeping this in the car but i do keep it shaded a bit in the warmer months. Don't have to mess about with collecting wood etc.. to burn a kelly kettle either. Cheap as chips from a discount store too (Stove £10, 4 bottles gas £3.99)

Tonyuk

Good choice

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
What about a Crusader mug and stove? You can't get anything much more simple and it is not expensive plus you can use chafing gel or hexi as fuel which is really handy to carry. Clearly if using hexi you need to be careful with the fumes but you are not likely to be running it in the car anyhow.

I have a few stoves but love my Crusader and over the year it gets quite a bit of use including for making tea at the back of the car.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE