Car Boot Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Good Afternoon All,

Well this morning I popped out today to a few car boot sales and came across these two axes and got them for £3.

Axe 1 (says Made In Germany 1 1/2lb 14" handle)
axe1a.jpg

axe1b.jpg

Axe 2 - Has the head had a lot of wear or is it meant to be this shape?
(3lb 21" handle)
axe2a.jpg

axe2b.jpg

I dont know much about axes so can someone tell me which jobs these axes are more suited too?

also whats the best way to to give them a clean /refurb?

T.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I believe the Kent pattern one is indeed for hewing, that sort of thing. As such, I think that the edge should be a bit straighter but I'm not too sure.

A picture from the top of the head would help for the top one, but it looks like a fairly thinned out blade, so I'd guess that it's a limber - it does, though, look like the thinning is gradual enough that it would make a fair splitter too, so I'd go for both and say all-rounder. Nice catch on both!

I'd use steel wool or a wire brush to get off any loose rust, then apply a very light coat of boiled linseed (I'm talking, dip your finger in the oil and run it over the oxide, it'll take a few fingerfulls, and then wipe it all off) I've found that it tends to sorta soak into the rust/oxide and help protect from further rust. Applying too much and it will get gummy though, which will make it stick in wood. Similarly, don't apply linseed too close to the cutting edge or it will gum up the sharpening stone.

Pete

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice finds.The top axe is of a shape more suited to splitting smallish 'rounds' of wood for kindling,although im sure it would do a good job of chopping stuff.
The bottom is known as a 'kent'pattern and it looks like its been well used.also the handle looks to be a good size for felling small trees and general cutting.Brades are also a good old company who made quality tools of all kinds.
As for refurb,a wirebrushing and wipe the head with oil and few coats of linseed oil on the handles is what id do.:cool:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Both handles are dangerously fitted and need replacing before use!

And yeah, it does look like the top one should make a decent all rounder - very nice!

Pete

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
i have started pulling out the wedges (top one is out) to replace them, what wood is ok to replace with? i have loads of oak is that ok, or do i want some soft wood?

The handles feel solid so if i replace the wedge will they be ok?

Once i give them a clean up i will have to find some leather to make a sheath ( never made anything like that so should be interesting lol)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the handle on the german axe looks ok, just stick a new wedge in it (oak is good) and give it many coats of linsead oil. make sure the wood around the eye has plenty, it will make the wood swell making a very tight fit. if it feels solid after this it should be ok.

as you have removed the old wedge you may as well take the head off while you can. it is far easier to clean and you can also remove any rust from inside the eye.

the handle of the kent pattern axe looks like its past its best. but trust me it will be worth re-handleing:)

pete

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I was looking at the kent ones handle and had noticed its not in the best condition. looks like the bottom of it has been eaten by worms lol so will be replacing it.

oohhh a project :)

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
I think you should use ash to re handle them it is probably the best local wood you could use.
I have never tried oak before it might be very good or it might split easily.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I love cheap axes. German one looks a sweetie, just like a Gransfors wildlife hatchet really but less than 1/10th of the price and unique to you, perfect little pack axe. Follow the bit on the handle tutorial for the wedge, make sure your oak wedge is really dry before fitting it, bake it for a couple of days over a fire or radiator if possible, not a bad idea to do the same with the handle. Wood is always shrinking as it dries and expanding as it takes up moisture from the air, you want to fit the wedge when it is at it's smallest/driest. to get the tightest fit.

I like a big kent axe, good for firewood duties, felling, snedding, splitting or whatever. They tend to wear top and bottom like this and make better axes for it. In fact it was using old worn axes with this profile that inspired Wille Sundqvist to design the Gransfors Swedish carving axe with it's very curved edge profile.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks for the info guys,

I will get on with giving them a refurb, will start with the smallest one first as seems nice and easy and will more than like carry it more.

I will take some pics as i go on.

T.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I love cheap axes. German one looks a sweetie, just like a Gransfors wildlife hatchet really but less than 1/10th of the price and unique to you, perfect little pack axe.

you can't beat old axes, very cheap, avalable and usualy very good quality:) why don't more people do this?:confused:

pete

swanseajack

Jun 13, 2009
Mumbles
I wouldn't bother with wire brushes other than to get loose or dusty rust off.
I use a Dremel with a coarse little sanding drum. But, you can also cut a circle out of a piece of wet'n'dry and touch the spinning abrasive side on the piece to be cleaned/polished. I have found that with a big piece of metal like an axe, as long as you don't stop in one place for ages, you won't spoil the bit's temper, well, I haven't yet!
As you can see, there was/is some big piiting on the sides of the axe from rust, but it looks nice and rustic now with the pitting adding a lovely texture:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE