Can someone identify these??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Birch polypore AKA razorstrop AKA Piptoporus betulinus, I am 90% sure, all the ones I find look like the centre one rather than the other two. Lots of uses, including plasters, coals, and stropping

Someone else will be along soon and confirm, I sounded more sure than I actually am! :eek:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
GOOSE: Yes you are completly right. It is Birch polypore, and it has loads of uses.

Two that I have done are
Colds and sore throats; Slice off a peice. boil it for 30 mins with the lid on. inhale vapour for a blocked nose and gargle liquid for sore throat. It tastes terrible but it works.

Coal fungus/ember keep: Dry out fungus. slice off stipe and place ember on inner flesh. keeps burning for hours and keeps insects away.

It contains an antiseptic and alot of tannins(stypic). It tastes like TCP soaked cotton wool. :yuck:
:cool: Looking at the pictures carefully something wierd is going on to fungus in the first picture. It has morbid obesity of something.

Reactions: Justin Time

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes they get that shape when they're really old.
Interesting use, boiling it for tea; :cool: I boil it up for a green dye :rolleyes:
It can also be chewed raw as a hunger stop. Tastes like polystyrene (feels a bit like the tougher stuff too) but seems to work.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE