Can all water be made drinkable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Found a really cool patch of birch forest with a slow running stream running through it. Its in a very boggy area and it may be pollluted with fertiliser etc. I know its not immediately drinkable but im wondering if it can be made so by filtering/boiling??

Thanks

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
never boil to remove chemicals buddy.

"Boiling will not provide any safeguard against other things such as heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceuticals etc that may contaminate a water supply. It may remove chemicals which have a lower boiling point than water but what about the others? Neither does it remove turbidity, foul tastes and odours."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1383221

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Why not take a sample & have it analysed, sorry, I've no idea of the cost, but at least your'll know what's in it & then find out if it's possible to filter out these substances.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
From how you describe the stream as slow moving, I guess you are looking at a low level woodland which has run off from agricultural land and possibly industrial waste too?

If that is the case, then I'd say that making the water drinkable is beyond what a bushcrafter would carry.

I'm in a similar position with my permissions (1 has old lead workings polluting the stream, the other is surrounded by agriculture) so always take my water in with me, leaving a spare bottle in the car if I need it.

Not ideal, but could you afford to take time off work due to self inflicted D & V?

Simon

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
You could just try a taste test. Take some safe drinking water, add some iodine and then filter it through charcoal. If you don't taste the iodine when you're done then you've probably done a good job.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Boiling will concentrate some chemical pollution due to evaporation. You would need to filter your water first through charcoal as already suggested then a ceramic and silver matrix. This will remove some chemicals and the majority of organic pathogens. The you will need to distil the water carefully to remove anything with a higher boiling point. Still will leave behind some chemicals. You could try a reverse osmosis pump as well.

Sounds like a huge flaff. I have a well on my commercial site yet I still bring in water to make sure its absolutely safe for my clients to drink.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't need to boil water, heating to about 80c will kill off jimmy germs. Other stuff like heavy metals and chemicals need good filtering so you may need something like depending on the water source.
http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters/

Or from forum member Lurch
http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Lifesaver.html

Where I camp on a regular basis the river is coming straight off the mountains and away form arable farming so I just heat treat the water as its crystal clear already and no harm done to date or after heavy rain run it through a milbank bag then heat treat.

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
I doubt it really does have chemicals though. There is a fast flowing part of the river and its in the countryside beside a smallish town. If i use a charcoal filter and boil it should it be safe and what would be the chances of it being polluted?

forestwalker

There are stuff that is not possible to clean out in the field. Best would probably be a triple system:

1. Solar still or some other (low) temp gas phase recapture system
2. A peat/charcoal/sphagnum filter (chelates some heavy metals, etc)
3. Boiling (or close to) to sterilize

I don't know of any field portable system I would trust for radiactive contamination (the sphagnum/charcoal one might be one of the better options here)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I doubt it really does have chemicals though. There is a fast flowing part of the river and its in the countryside beside a smallish town. If i use a charcoal filter and boil it should it be safe and what would be the chances of it being polluted?

You may be able to check out the water quality at the Environment Agency website. See if you can find a sample location upstream. The same site maps a lot of potential pollution sources.

Z

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
best bet would be to dig a deep hole some way from the river/stream, the earth between the two would act as a filter, then do as above filter boil etc etc etc....

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
the earth between the two would act as a filter, then do as above filter boil etc etc etc....

I beg to differ. No amount of filtering can ever remove chemicals which are dissolved in the water. If you are in any serious doubt then carry water in.

Carbon filtration isn't as simple as it sounds either. As has been said before you would have to test the water coming out to be sure it had worked, then you would have to test every time because at some point the carbon will be exhausted.

Never skip the boiling; it has been shown that even hundreds of meters of rock cannot filter out cryptosporidium :yuck:

Z

Distilling will not remove everything. If it did, we'd have no whisky :) Specifically, it does not remove anything that has a lower boiling point than the water itself. This includes alcohol, petrol and many many other things. Wild water is unlikely to contain such things, but farm/dump water is. I'd leave your source well alone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE