Camping permission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

Sorry this has probably been asked before but where can you get permission to light fires and camp in places?

Tried asking around but no one I know knows so I thought I'd ask on here because I'm bound to get an answer.

Cheers

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Easy. Camp, light a fire. The guy who runs towards you waving a pitchfork and swearing is the landowner. :D
Seriously though, it can be tricky. What I do is ask at farms nearby, they will at least be able to tell you who owns it even if it isn't them. I have gypsies all over the woods down my way, and the farmers get angry at them because apparently they never ask and leave rubbish (we have right-wing farmers down here :D), so they are often not so happy about yet more people sleeping there. A shame really, since the land is quite unused. If you take a Ray Mears book and explain what you'll be doing it can help.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I know its easy when you have transport and can cover a lot of ground, but -
ask around, folk in the countryside know lots of people, especially who owns what.
Be careful about your approach though as you might be seen as someone who they do not want around. If you can help a busy farmer/landowner in any way, then offer to do so. Perhaps offer to pick some litter from his roadside hedges, bag it up and ask if he wants to burn it or should you take it away. Offer to watch out for preditors on his land at springtime, when the lambs are born. You could even offer to help at haymaking but its damned hard work!
They can be a very secular bunch but, be polite, be prepared for a put-down, be ready to come back another time if he is busy.
It will be especially difficult in hot,dry weather to get permission to light a fire - so take every precaution. And to the same end, invite the owner to inspect your site when you leave.

I find it esay to ask around, but then I'm living amongst them.

All the best though.

Ogri the trog

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Try the local County Council Rights of Way Department - they'll have a far better idea than the Land Registry (field are still often sold by private auction or arrangement, so the details often don't ever make it to the Land Registry) - and they might know if anybody is willing to have wild campers on their land...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE