Camp Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Try your local pub or restaurant - someone who does large scale catering and who is likely to buy stuff in very large tins. You may be able to adapt one of these.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
redcollective said:
What about those giant olive oil tins... are they thick-walled enough?

"I've baked beans before in an old tin pail after encasing it in clay" - Horace Kephardt, Camping and Woodcraft

I'd say that's a "yes". Those big tins Indian places get ghee in would do, too. Or one of the big stainless breadbins Morrisons used to sell (may still). They even say "bread" on the side, but I'm sure they'd bake other stuff. :D

Jim.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
You could just get a dutch oven :rolleyes:
But i'll second the ammo box - they come in a real assortment of sizes.
Gypsy friends have used the big old enamel pans just sat next to the fire, and turned periodically. No reason why that wouldnt work with a billy can, tho it might melt an aluminum one ?

Cheers
Rich

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
We made one on scout camp last week, It was a cardboard box wrapped inside and out with two layers of tin foil and a couple of bits of coat hanger across the inside to make a shelf. We roasted 1/2 chickens. Make sure you can hook the flaps shut. It rested on a couple of large logs.

This is the way we create an oven at The EAst Anglia meets......Stand a cooking pot (with your bread dough or what ever in it) on three stones inside a larger pot and put the top on. This allows and even distriduction of temerature around the food ;) (Original idea from Jem Seeley)

Attachments

• Bread Oven.JPG
    Bread Oven.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 190

mammy_nun

Aug 7, 2005
Gourock, Scotland
Fenlander said:
This is the way we create an oven at The EAst Anglia meets......Stand a cooking pot (with your bread dough or what ever in it) on three stones inside a larger pot and put the top on. This allows and even distriduction of temerature around the food ;) (Original idea from Jem Seeley)[/QUOTE

Cheers for that :D looks great. I was thinkin about burying a tin with a fire under it. But this looks way easier. Cool

Thanks.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Has anybody tryed the way that African cook did in Ray Mears Bushcraft Series 1.

E.g. for those that haven't seen it

Light a open fire.

When coals develop move coals to one side.

Place bread in standard bread tins on the hot ash.

Place an pan upside down over the top and finally shove some coals on top (or the bottom :D) of the pan.

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Just been trying this method on my garden fire site. The soil in my garden is pretty heavy clay and the fire area has become quite hard packed. I had a fire going for about an hour for other uses but decided to use up some bread mix I'd left over from a recent meet. First I swept away the hot embers with a handful of twigs and then placed the risen dough directly onto the ground.I then placed a largish billy over the top and swept back the embers around and on top. Half an hour later one lovely loaf! Needless to say it was a bit grubby on the bottom but I can always give that to the serfs!!(upper crust, lower crust!?)
The main reason for trying this method was to see if I can manage with just one billy to cut done on weight.

Butternut

May 11, 2005
The Hinterland (Surrey!)
a couple of years ago after a bit of garden clearance I was sitting by the incinerator (you know - metal bin with holes, lid with chimney) thinking what a waste of some serious heat. So I poked a couple of thick metal rods parallel to each other through the holes about half way up, cut some thickish wire mesh into a circle with two folded-up bits on the side (as handles to lift it in & out), made some tin-foil pans and lowered some chicken and veg down into it once the flames had died down and there was a good depth of glowing embers. Popped the lid on and forget about it for nearly an hour. It worked really well (juicy and with mild wood-smokey taste) and I've done repeat performances for friends a few time since. Camp-fire feel and great fun, but sorry, not really a travelling light solution!

I managed to roast a pheasant stuffed with cellery, onion and clementine in a Swedish Army Billy can just before christmas. I browned the pheasant over the fire first and then stuck it in the Billy with the lid on and put it next to the fire (not close enough to burn) and made sure I turned the billy around fairly often. Not sure that I would trust this method to make a souffle but it worked OK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE