C##P Silva Lighters & Service

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've just had my Silva Helios lighter back from Silva - I sent it back as there was no longer a flame.

Got it back this morning with a note, says, UNECONOMICAL TO REPAIR. That's it.

Great service eh? I'm NOT impressed. I have heard of this from others but I'm really disappointed.

I wouldn't have minded that much but I spoke to the guy and he said - Oh yes, send it and we'll sort it out!

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have had problems with Silva before, I sent in a compass where the needle had come apart, and they sent it back and basically said live with it.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Having had dealings myself with SIlva as a former retailer this story seems par de course with them, think their chain of thought is that if it cost less than £50 then it's a disposable item, tosh. If your willing to pay to have something fixed or if it's still in warranty then it's not ready for the bin. A compass from a xmas cracker is disposable, a 60p lighter from the market is disposable :soapbox:

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
This is rather OT but thought I should say it because such good service should be mentioned all the time! The company is Zippo and no, I don't own it or have any connection to it whatsoever :rolleyes:

I messed up my zippo one day because I left it lighted for too long just to see what would happen if I used it as a fire source or candle. Anyway it burned too hot and the whole lighter burst into flame. Result was a burned liquid weld around the join of the insert and a sparking wheel that wouldn't spark anymore.

Sent it back to zippo telling them the problem and expected to wait a month or two for it and a bill. The lighter came back a week later with the complete old insert in a plastic bag and a brand new insert in the lighter!!!! No bills, no letter telling me off and didn't take much longer then it would have taken posting it back and forth.

I am a member of a smoking forum and that seems to be the general view of zippo. First class company for both the employees as well as the customer.

Ok all done. Sorry to rub it in :D

singteck

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yep, that's why I carry a Zippo. I've broken numerous ones over the years and never had a problem with their lifetime guarantee or customer service. They always repair the hinge, send you a new insert and give you the old one back. They're windproof, water-resistant (Mine's been dropped in a river a few times and it lit up first try) tough as nails and run on damn near anything flammable.

My vote goes for Zippo. Hands down.

Adam

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I prefer the traditional petrol lighters, I have tried a few of the "blue" flame type but they never last long. Zippo's are great but i just got an IMCO £6 and it seals better than a Zippo, not as chunky though.

Mark

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Mark,

I've always wanted an IMCO Triplex lighter. I'm taking a vacation to Europe at the end of May for about five weeks and I was thinking of buying one. Is it worth it? I've heard people say that they're quite cheap and don't last near as long as a Zippo.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Adam

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks Rik, I'm also grateful you didn't so I told you so!

I have a zippo, but they just aren't as good at lighting slightly damp tinder. I concur with every other sentiment. They are a superb company, like most of the bigger, older US ones!

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
when you fill jet or blue flame lighters
blast a bit of gas in the top where the flame comes out
(do this outside and don't smoke!!)
or use a air line
it seems to sort them out/unblock them
it dos mine a world of good

strideredc

Dec 19, 2009
west sussex
i have a Silva Helios and it just about works fine (second click) never delt with there CS?

send it back to the MD or FD with a letter exp. that you are really unhappy blah blah...

£5 says they will sort it! no, you shouldn't have to but this is the world we live in!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
i have a Silva Helios and it just about works fine (second click) never delt with there CS?

send it back to the MD or FD with a letter exp. that you are really unhappy blah blah...

£5 says they will sort it! no, you shouldn't have to but this is the world we live in!

I threw it in the bin two years ago after this post....:)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Jet flame lighters are notoriously failure prone, and my Silva Helios lasted a year or two before it finally died.

I also had a Victorinox Campflame (SAK with integral jet flame lighter) that failed. Victorinox replaced it under warranty.

I no longer trust jet flame lighters for outdoor use. They are handy tools for fusing rope-ends, melting hot glue and light soldering though.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep, that's why I carry a Zippo. I've broken numerous ones over the years and never had a problem with their lifetime guarantee or customer service. They always repair the hinge, send you a new insert and give you the old one back. They're windproof, water-resistant (Mine's been dropped in a river a few times and it lit up first try) tough as nails and run on damn near anything flammable.

My vote goes for Zippo. Hands down.

Adam

I have had Zippos in the past but found that they run out quick if you don't refill them constantly. Was I doing something wrong? The fuel does seem to evaporate pretty quickly - and I've noticed that in more than one Zippo lighter.

I have got a peanut lighter (see some other post on this site ages ago for details) and that has a rubber seal. Filled it last year - still working now. Now that's a good survival tool!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Jet flame lighters are notoriously failure prone, and my Silva Helios lasted a year or two before it finally died.

I also had a Victorinox Campflame (SAK with integral jet flame lighter) that failed. Victorinox replaced it under warranty.

I no longer trust jet flame lighters for outdoor use. They are handy tools for fusing rope-ends, melting hot glue and light soldering though.

Agree! In fact the only one I've had that is still working after more than a year is a cheapo plastic one I got in Poland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE