BUTTER!!! How do you carry yours??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One of the things I miss when I'm lightweighting is a good dollop of butter, for toast, cooking etc. Now I don't want to carry a full pat, just enough for a couple of rounds of toast over the weekend and maybe to make some butties. Trouble starts when the temperature rises during the day or the lid comes off your container as your pack moves and jostles... The result, butter over all your kit and a right old cleanup job.

What are your ideas for transporting a small block of butter so that it doesn't cause mischief??

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I've used a small air-tight tupperware box (~1"sq) with a bit of string poking out, put the butter in that and dropped it into my camelbak (tying the string to the top of the camelbak), providing i don't drink all the water, it keeps the block just the at the top between hard and spreadable.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I use a seamless (tuna) can with a plastic snap on lid. In the pack The tin goes inside a ziploc type bag in case the lid does get popped off.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I use these quite a lot, in goes olive oil, spices, Flora, powdered milk etc, etc and a handy label too.

IMGP1298.JPG

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Those single service catering ones you get at motorway rest stops. Same with sauce, salt, pepper and vinegar. When I was livin in a van for 10 months it was the best way.

Haha Dave beat me to it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I gave up trying, these days I carry a v/small Sigg bottle filled with olive oil and use that instead of butter.

Good idea but olive oil clashes with the marmite on my toasted soldiers, it would ruin the whole dippy egg experience...I fear you've lived in Europe a tad too long and gone 'native' ;)

Now, good bread, olive oil, rubbed with fresh garlic is a different matter :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just take some full cream in a jar and the long hike should churn it by the time you get to your campsite.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Does anyone no if butter can be frozen??
Im thinking maybe get a block of it, freeze it, wrap it tin foil, then bubble wrap and another layer of tin foil then as it deforsts it will go soft on the outer layer making it spreadable.
What do you guys think?
Cheers
Steve

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does anyone no if butter can be frozen??
Im thinking maybe get a block of it, freeze it, wrap it tin foil, then bubble wrap and another layer of tin foil then as it deforsts it will go soft on the outer layer making it spreadable.
What do you guys think?
Cheers
Steve

Being serious now; yes. I buy 2 or 3 pounds of butter at a time when it's on sale and keep it in the freezer until I need it. I only pull out 1 stick at a time (quarter pound stick) as I need it. Actually milk can be frozen as well. But be advised, it can pick up odors from other foods in the freezer (same as in the fridge) unless properly sealed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE